Does your employer get informed ? Why has my husband's income been included ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Josephine.h

Post by Josephine.h » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:55 pm
Does your employer get informed ? I am applying for single iva and my husbands income has been included in household income so It looks like he is paying towards my debt ... Can't be right surely ?

hubert

Post by hubert » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:09 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum - this place is a goldmine of information!

Your employer will not be informed. If you work in the financial sector I think there might be implications though.

Your husband's income is taken into account only for household bills.

Therefore if you and your husband earn the same, he will be expected to pay 50% of the household bills. If you earn twice what he does you'll pay 75% and he'll pay 25% etc...

Your husband does NOT have to disclose anything at all including his income. However, if he chooses not to, the IVA company will assume he can take care of 50% of the bills.

Therefore, if he earns significantly more than you it might be in his interest to not disclose his financial details.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:14 pm
Hi, the information given by Hubert is essentially correct ... however, some firms use household income towards the IVA payment, which does result in the solvent partner, effectively paying some of the debt.

I would suggest you have a chat with a couple more firms, other than those in the "charity sector".
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:32 pm
As I have mentioned before Payplan have always included my husbands income and he has also had to pay over half of any pay rises at the annual review the same as me. However they have never asked to see his payslips other than at the start of the IVA. I am not sure what would have happened if he had not agreed to this.

El Presidio

Post by El Presidio » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 pm
VB have not included my partners income in my proposed IVA.

I think it probably depends on the firm!

Foggy is right, shop in the non charity sector.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:11 pm
This does not sound correct so get a second opinion. If you have only taken advice from the bank funded charity sector you should approach an independent, professional firm too.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”