Power of attorney

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

chocoholic2

Post by chocoholic2 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:02 pm
My mum wants to do a Lasting Power Of Attorney...appointing me. Looking at previous posts this didn't seem to be a problem, but looking on the gov.uk website it says:
You cannot chose someone who is subject to a debt relief order or is bankrupt.

Does this include IVA' s?
Is anyone currently holding power of attorney, and did you encounter any problems?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:18 pm
It is fine to hold the LPA in an IVA but not bankruptcy or debt relief. Get confirmation from your own IP but as far as I am aware there is no problem.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

chocoholic2

Post by chocoholic2 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:08 pm
Creditfix are my new IPs[:0]
I might ask when they ring up to see why I haven't signed the Ts&Cs
Thanks for the reply!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:29 pm
My LPA for my dad went through OK while I was in my IVA.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:48 pm
Yes I agree it would be ok as we enquired in respect of MIL and Melanie confirmed to us it would be ok
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 am
My husband did this for his dad he hit a problem with barclays when he presented the papers and they had to have a letter from his father saying he still wanted to ahead as we have an iva which was annoying as the solicitor did not mention this and also embarrassing as we have told nobody about the iva. He has never received anything back I.e bank card from barclays but we assume they accepted the letter as we have not heard any different.

chocoholic2

Post by chocoholic2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:24 am
Thanks for the replies...my mum doesn't know about my iva, so the fact that Barclays wanted further paperwork....
I'm two and a half years away from the end of my iva - this includes an extra 12 months as I have equity...and mum's in good health right now, so hopefully when the time comes that I have to use power of attorney my iva will have been completed.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”