I'm moving to Australia in september, currently 3 years into an IVA. Can I declare bankruptcy ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Paul.46

Post by Paul.46 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:47 pm
I'm moving to Australia in september, currently 3 years out of 6 into my IVA - can i declare bankruptcy

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:07 pm
Yes but it may be better to try and settle the IVA. The official receiver may want some of your income in Australia so I would think a clean slate would be preferable.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

hubert

Post by hubert » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:50 pm
Do you ever intend to return to the uk?

If not or not for many years Id be tempted to go bankrupt.

But a full and final settlement might work as they may be prepared to accept less knowing you could simply walk away and never come back.

I'm not a fan of it but I know of people who migrated out of the uk and left their debts behind.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

doritos

Post by doritos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Michael Peoples

Yes but it may be better to try and settle the IVA. The official receiver may want some of your income in Australia so I would think a clean slate would be preferable.
Given the different legal systems how would the official receiver get any of that?

hubert

Post by hubert » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:50 pm
Only if Paul sent it :)
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum, good luck with your new start and I hope everything works out well for you.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”