Driving lessons

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:25 pm
Just after a bit of advice really, I am nearing the last leg of my IVA and am wanting to take driving lessons, not for my benefit really but for my sister who is severely physically disabled.

What would be the best way to broach the subject of driving lesson costs on my IVA?

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 pm
I don't think that you can - might be either sit tight or see whether the lesson can be funded via any allowances your sister might receive.

If you are on the last leg that final payment allows you the ability to decide how to then spend your money.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 pm
I note you're only two months away from completion unless you've got extra 12 months in lieu of equity. Might be worth waiting now as you're 58 payments down assuming your avatar is correct.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

hubert

Post by hubert » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:06 pm
I tried this at the start of my IVA.

Even with Mel at the controls it wouldn't wash.

It was for my wife. We managed it out of our allowances anyway and she passed her test not long ago :)
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 pm
You won't get any allowance for driving lessons I am afraid ---- think of it as like someone who is not in an IVA wandering into Barclays and asking them to pay for lessons .... not going to happen.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Radish

Post by Radish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:18 pm
It took me 7 attempts to pass my driving test. It can be a long and expenisive haul. Best to wait till your IVA is over and put your focus into it then. Well done on nearly completing the IVA though. That is problably harder then passing your test ?-/
IVA complete March 2014 after 6 years.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:33 pm
2 months to go ... almost there ... get your first lesson booked now for the week after your final payment is made ... take this time to learn the highway code and practise for the theory test ... that way you are positively moving towards it
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:31 pm
Thanks for the replies, would have been nearly complete but have an extra year to pay (still think it's wrong I have to due to circumstances but hey ho), never did get a full breakdown on voting on a variation a few years ago though, just a letter saying that I was required to pay an extra year.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 am
I would ask for this document if you want it, nothing to stop you and I do believe they should supply this.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”