2 years post-IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Vignal

Post by Vignal » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 am
So I entered into an IVA in May 2012. Luckily I was able to have it discharged in May 2013 after my parents came into some money.

I am aware that it stays on my record for 6 years. Will I have poor credit until then? My credit rating is still shocking. I'm worrying as I'm looking to rent my own place within the next couple of months but I'm thinking I won't pass credit checks!?

I know my debt was my mistake and I'm paying for it now with my poor credit rating by I hate the way I'm being punished for past mistakes. I'm a professional earning a good wage and on the face of it if a landlord knew those facts rather than judging me on a credit score they'd happily have me in their property.

Anyone got any tips for improving credit score? I've ensured all defaults have been tidied up etc but still not making any difference.

Am I just in for long haul here waiting for the 6 years to be up before I can realistically think about moving forward with my life!?

Thanks everyone

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:50 pm
The biggie on the credit files is the IVA and the associated defaults, which, as you know, you are stuck with until 2018.

Best bet, other then renting privately, would be to be upfront and take along a copy of your Notice of Completion. You might still need to pay a higher security deposit or rent in advance, but people on here have managed to swing it even whilst still in an IVA.

Good luck.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:53 pm
You could also try and rent privately as these landlords rarely have access to credit files. Your parents could offer to stand as guarantor if you have not rented before otherwise a previous good rental record would be a help.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Vignal

Post by Vignal » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm
Thanks guys. My mum has already said she will stand as guarantor and I presume I will need her too. Her credit history is perfect so should be helpful.

Was living with my ex previous to this but split up and had to move back home. Was hoping I wasn't going to have to stay with the parents until 2018 haha.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 pm
Try and get a reference from the previous landlrd as this will also help especially if the landlord is a private one and not via an agency.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

nonewdebt

Post by nonewdebt » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:39 pm
You clear your debts early and still have to wait 6 years like everyone else to clear the record to borrow in the future?

Nothing more than a heavy handed deterrent designed by some despot freternity outfit to punish people.They whoever, forget The UK government is in unpayable structural debt as 'bad' as Greece but still gets to borrow more with a AAA credit rating.Bonkers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”