Do the creditors have access to savings accounts ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Tope

Post by Tope » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:34 am
Do the creditors have access to furture savings accounts as my circumstance will chnage with new work in the future. Can they also have access to other current accounts that I might use to save in the future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:17 am
They don't have access to them however you have a duty under the iva to declare a change of income in order to ensure your payment to your iva realises the best return to creditors.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 am
As long as you correctly and fully declare extra earnings and salary increases over the term of your IVA and pay in the required portion of these monies, there should be no problems. Any legitimate savings are of no concern to the IP.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:56 am
However there still remains some uncertainty with Credifix and their approach.

Entitled to know what might have been saved (especially if the amount generates additional income) and access are 2 different things.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:41 am
Hi,

You don't say if you're in an IVA or not. If you are your savings are safe from the creditors. However, your IP might consider them an asset and require that they be paid into the IVA.

If you're not in an IVA, creditors can only get hold of savings if it's with the same company. For example, you owe £5,000 to Barclays but have £5,000 in a Barclays savings account - they have "right of offset" and can take the savings to pay the debt.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”