What happens if I am tied into a fixed rate mortgage with costs to get out and remortgage ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

jburbeck

Post by jburbeck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:23 pm
I started my iva in October 2013. I am a aware that in month 54 they will be looking for me to try and remortgage to release equity to clear the remainder of the outstanding debt. And I am aware that if my mortgage payments go up by more than 50% of my monthly iva payment that I will be expected to pay an additional 12 months of payments. What happens if I am tied into a fixed rate mortgage that will require me to pay additional costs to get out of. Will I be expected to do this.

ilikewatch

Post by ilikewatch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 am
In my case the early repayment charge was included in my redemption quote from my mortgage company - this reduced the available equity and meant that my IVA finish at the 5 year mark - without the £5K early repayment charge my equity would have been above the threshold and I would have had to try to release it/extend the IVA.

I would assume that every company would include the early repaymnt charge when calculating available equity, i.e:

Forced sale valuation of property £100,000

Mortgage balance £90,000
Mortgage Exit Administration Fee £200
Early Repaymemnt Charge £5,000

Available Equity £4,800
Last edited by ilikewatch on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 am
There is very little chance that you would be able to remortgage so the question wouldn't arise.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”