Help - need a definitive answer!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Dobby.k

Post by Dobby.k » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:49 pm
Hoping for enlightenment as am totally befuddled with complexity of working out this problem!

I owe £38.5K in total to creditors. My IVA proposal (set up in 2012) is to repay £29.5K. I have paid in £23.5K over the past 2.3 years (which includes proceeds from a successful PPI claim) and have 2.7 years left in IVA. Monthly repayment is £491. An equity clause is included in IVA terms.

How much will it cost me to pay off the IVA this year if I obtain the means to do so via an inheritance?

Would I have to hand over my entire inheritance to IP and wait for them to work out a completion figure before sending me back the surplus or can I set aside or send them the sum required to settle and keep the remainder (if any)?

Would be extremely grateful for assistance as am finding it very difficult and stressful to work out the answer to this puzzle myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:14 am
You will owe the full original debt of £38.5k plus IP fees and possible statutory interest.
Your inheritance will be used to pay the balance and the left over once calculated will be yours to keep.
If the solicitor is dealing with distribution of assets as per the will they should ask the question of all recipients as to whether they are currently bankrupt or in an iva ...you need to say yes.
If like my situation...the solicitor then worked direct with my IP and gained a figure of how much was due to be paid to reach 100% of original debt. At the same time I had an agreement go through that statutory interest was not payable.
The solicitor then paid direct to my IP the outstanding amount before sending me the balance fir my own use.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:49 am
Good advice from luluj -- always worth asking if the liability to statutory interest can be removed.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:24 am
Hope Luluj's answer has helped you as I know she has been in a very similar situation.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Dobby.k

Post by Dobby.k » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 am
Many thanks Lulu. Your reply was very helpful indeed. And thanks to Foggy for the suggestion. Finding this forum has been a godsend.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:23 am
Hui

I would estimate that you will repay a total of approx. 46k plus possible statutory interest at 8% per annum

Regards
Andam Davies

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:20 am
Dobby,

Just a random idea, If the person has not yet passed which triggers the inheritance would it not be possible for them to re-word their last will and testament to leave the money to you in trust and one of the conditions of said trust is that you are not allowed access to the funds until e.g. Today plus 3 years ? The same as parents do when they leave estate to their kids but don't trust them to blow it all until they reach a certain age, so it is placed in trust and they can have it at age e.g. 25.

If it just so happened your IVA was completed once the Trust period ends then you would not have encountered a windfall during the term of the IVA ?

Also, depending on your relationship with your partner perhaps the estate could be left to them instead ?

Guess all depends on the wording of your agreement.

Will aid is a charity that helps draft wills for a minimal fee, it is who I used many years ago. http://www.willaid.org.uk
Last edited by longslog101 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Dobby.k

Post by Dobby.k » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm
Longslog101

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately the person has recently passed so your suggestion is a no go. I will take Lulu's advice and ask the lawyers to deal with the IP on my behalf.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”