An additional payment apparently superseded my direct debit and now told I have missing payment.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Kevind7945

Post by Kevind7945 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:49 am
In April last year I received a bonus from work which I declared to my IP and made the required payment. Following my annual review in Jan I received a notice a few weeks back saying we are in debt of one missed payment. I contacted them and they advised that because I made an additional payment it superseded my direct debit payment to them for my monthly payment. i checked with my bank and no DD was requested that month by them so in my eyes I haven't missed a payment yet I am now being chased for this "missing" payment and threatened with further action. I am 4 years into my IVA and never missed anything, have declared everything and kept to all the terms required so I'm really disappointed that this course of action being taken against me. Any advice?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:51 am
The payment is due in any event, as it was not claimed by the company and it is down to you to check your account regularly and this should have been queried at the time.

I would respond by simply stating that this missed payment is down to them not calling for the funds and in no way reflects upon the way you have conducted your part of the IVA. Rather than the threat of further action, you are expecting an apology and suggest that the uncalled for payment can be added on at the end of the term.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:21 am
My understanding was that I agreed to make the required number of payments and not that my IP agreed to take the agreed payments. I would have noticed if a payment hadn't have been taken! Daily checking of the bank balance is something I still do ritually in the morning.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:59 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by relieved33

My understanding was that I agreed to make the required number of payments and not that my IP agreed to take the agreed payments. I would have noticed if a payment hadn't have been taken! Daily checking of the bank balance is something I still do ritually in the morning.
I must admit, Relieved, that I check mine several times a day, even now !

Apart from the budgeting habit, the Co-Op, who I am with, have a "three strikes and you are out" policy if you go overdrawn, so I need to keep an eye on that.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:44 pm
Can you set up a standing order rather than doing it by Direct Debit? This puts YOU in control of the outgoing payment and will trigger monthly regardless of any additional payments you make.

Mine goes out early in the month by SO and I make any additional transfers as required on a manual basis on top of the SO.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”