Can I enter an IVA and will this stop bailiffs ? I have been on incapacity benefit for years.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Steve.03

Post by Steve.03 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 am
I have been on incapacity benefit for years and through a missed appointment (that I had a valid reason for missing I ended up having no payment at all for over 6 months while I appealed it). During that time my top on my mortgage as well as my council tax exemption were also stopped for over 6 months. I went into all kinds of debt as I had no income and was living off my family. The benefits had to go as a new claim and I received no back payment for the 6 months or so that were missed. I became deeply depressed and buried my head in the sand. I received a summons to appear in court for council tax arrears of just over £1000, I was too depressed to go and then the letters from bailiffs began and I have shut myself in the house. I finally rang them when they had come out to my house and I just didnt answer and when I spoke to them they said I have to pay 400 upfront and 100 a month after that, they conceeded to accepting 200 upfront and 100 pm after that. I am due to pay that on tuesday and i just dont have it. Can I enter an IVA and will this hold the bailiffs away from my door, I have about 15k of other debt but one is a cut throat company called blaine finance who have a charge on the house. Even though I fully repaied their loan of 10k (having had to pay back almost 19k) they say I missed some interest payments and that they now want approx 6k I say approx cause every time they write to me the figure is different. Can an IVA hep with these also when they have a charge on the house?

I am so panicked and stressed now, it has destroyed my life and I don't think I can cope with much more of this strain.
Sincerely
Steve

ashb

Post by ashb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 am
Someone will be on the site to advise you more than I can, I do remember as soon as I started the process and even before I was accepted I used to tell the creditors I was in talks about a iva and that seemed to help hold them off

Good luck

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:44 am
Hi. First of all you need to speak to an Insolvency Practitioner (IP) as a matter of urgency. It is very late in the day, but they might be able to get a hold put on any proceedings.

The secured loan will not be "protected" by the IVA, but any repayments for it will be allowed and ring fenced in your expenses, so that you can afford ( subject to the money being there)the arranged repayments.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 am
Also speak to Citizens Advice Bureau and get some clarity on your benefits, what you may/should be entitled to etc.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”