Frugal Friends

29 posts Page 1 of 2

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 pm
As some of you will now know, I have been talking the Vincent Bond, the forum sponsors, and they have asked me to re launch and manage Frugal Friends (your cruise director so to speak).

For those who do not know, FF used to meet a couple of times a year for an evening meal or BBQ, which I appreciate is difficult for most, especially as the kids were not always able to be accommodated.

So, first and foremost I want to know what YOU all want from a social side to the forum. One seed sprouting in my head is a regular weekend ( or longer if it gets popular) camp out with a BBQ ---- a couple of days relaxing and eating, getting to know each other and making friends, above all RELAXING.

These meets will not be debt oriented but more social occasions. I am hoping I can get some sponsorship from VB to help us along with our projects.

So -- over to you --- come back with ideas, suggestions and any feedback and we shall see what happens :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:54 pm
Foggy ... camping is great fun and very relaxing. I know when in our iva it was the only breaks away we got for a number of years.

The biggest hurdle will be finding a venue ... no where is central to everybody ...

The past meets have tended to be midlands based, although we have had Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Northamptonshire too.

Maybe start of with a one nighter ... a meal at a pub with an option to stay over if people want ... book early into a premier inn or travel lodge and you can get great deals.

If when you get a date we are free we will come but from May 18th onwards I may be a little busier for 12 months !!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:23 pm
Foggy is this open to all forum members whether in an IVA or not?
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:33 pm
Nothing decided yet, but all will be open to every forum member and families.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm
That's good to know hope people support your efforts x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:38 pm
Good luck with the new role!

I have to come to terms with where I am I think. I am worried that I would turn up and someone would know me!! I need to get over that I think but I am still not comfortable with people I know realising what a mess we were in!

I do feel proud of having got through it but I still want it private!

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 pm
Any thoughts on how to overcome my silly insecurities would be gratefully received!!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:26 am
We all have those fears relieved33 ... if and its a big if you arrived to see someone you know I think you would find both parties a little mortified ..however does it matter? You would both be there for similar reasons and I could guarantee by the end of the night you will be chatting and realising judt how much in common you have with each other and others around.
I walked into my first forum event and had no idea who I was looking for or what to expect. I walked away having made some new friends, some of whom I would not be without now.

Don't be afraid .... come along!

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 am
I agree we all have those insecurities and although I know some people who are close to me have been or are in an IVA I would never discuss mine with them, I still don't mention it and it's a part of my personal life I want to move away from. Having said all of that I love being a part of the forum and cannot imagine being here, like Luluj I've made so many new friends and keep in touch via social media with a lot of them. I've been to a few FF meetings and can honestly say they were an enjoyable social night and personally I never spoke about debt as it wasn't what I was there for. Some chose to and it's each to their own.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:07 pm
Anyone have any ideas -- what do you want ( if anything) ?

ridingthestorm

Post by ridingthestorm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:03 pm
Sounds like an excellent idea foggy, tho it would be interesting to see the geographical location of us all. I'm in west Sussex and wouldn't fancy meeting up in Aberdeen for a pubmeal ! [:D] that might push me over my fuel allowance [8D] for the year !
Loved Money, Hate Credit, Road to Recovery.... IVA started 3/3/14 -- IVA F&F accepted 18/5/17 :D

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:33 am
This, of course, is the problem .... one reason I was thinking of a weekend do -- to make a trip more worthwhile.

In the past the meals have been more central, but usually attended by "the usual suspects" (very suspect, some of them !!!! ), this made it difficult for those on the south coast, south western penninsula and south wales.

So, I am thinking first of an event down in Somerset, for that quarter / southern half of the country ( easy motorway access) and, if that works, co-opting a volunteer to do a similar thing further north.

We could even go down the motorcycle club route and have regional meals, run by a volunteer "RC" (Road Captain ).

Throw all thoughts and ideas into the melting pot :-)

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:30 pm
Happy to sort an event for the East of England out as previously mentioned to Andy
Last edited by luluj on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 am
Hi Foggy you have a difficult task ahead of you but I agree different venues dotted about will be key. Costs will be a massive issue for those attending. Good luck with the organising.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm
Hi

In a different life I had to try and organise meetings in different regions as part of my job.

Finding locations, getting attendance may be a thankless task.

Almost think that exploring new technology, seeing how people can support each other remotely might be better.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
29 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”