Door knocking

5 posts Page 1 of 1

Warlandsmoon

Post by Warlandsmoon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 am
Ive just started the process via step change.

My current value of debts total around 53k and have just recently become unemployed from being self employed.

My wifes now the sole earner and we have 2 children.

Entering into this process is a very sureall experience and i know were doing the right thing but my wife is very worried about people knocking on the door.

Is it common for that.

Lots of family live in the street so we dont really want collection agents comming.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 am
Hello and welcome. It is very rare for people to come knocking. The IVA will be in place long before that happens. You will, however, get phone calls. Just tell them you are entering an IVA and give them StepChanges details and your reference number.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:18 am
It is rare as Foggy says for collection agents to call so early in the process and it should not take too long to get the IVA in place. It may be worth getting a second opinion from the independent, professional sector as well as using the bank funded charity side to make sure what is proposed is best for you. Stepchange do not usually do IVAs for the self employed which may include you as you were self employed and may be considering it in the future.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 am
Michael has a good point there regarding who will supervise the arrangement -- you could well find yourself being handed over to another firm, probably Grant Thornton.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 am
GT have been getting a lot of complaints recently on this board especially if you own your own property and the release of equity at month 54.

If there is anything to remotely suggest that you case is not simple find an alternative to the Stepchange/GT relationship.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Harrassment by creditors ?”