PPI 4 years after Completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

chris2202

Post by chris2202 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:24 pm
Hi, after some guidance pleased. I made my final IVA payment in October 2011 and received my Certification of Completion in October 2012.

I have now received a letter from Grant Thornton telling me to sign Letters of Authoisation with Slater Hayward Law to commence PPI claims, irrelevant if the fact the previous CMC confirmed I had no valid claims.

The wording is pretty strong but nowhere does it state this is mandatory.

Given I received COC over two years and want to get on with my post IVA life, can anyone advise if they have received the same from GT and if it is indeed a mandatory legal requirement for me to comply with.

Thanks
Chris x

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:57 pm
See: http://ivanews.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Several past GT clients have been getting these. I cannot see how they can enforce this and, I think, are trying their hand before there is a further result on appeal. Leave to appeal the case in the link above has been sought. If the appeal upholds the previous two rulings in favour of the debtor they can kiss goodbye to any PPI post completion in the future, unless they can frighten people into signing it over now.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

recovering

Post by recovering » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:04 pm
I'm not with GT but surely this is bully boy tactics? Do these companies never learn? this is pretty much the same behaviour the banks used to sell PPI in the first place!

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:39 am
I know it probably wouldn't help but if my IP came bullying me for PPI 2 YEARS after my IVA completed I'd be telling them to get ****ed.
Last edited by thisusernameistaken on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chunky

Post by Chunky » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:01 pm
If I may follow up this thread with my own question similar to this?

I have an IVA with GT, due to end in a few months time. Now they want me to give Slater Hayward Law authority to ask all of my creditors to look into PPI. (All but one I know I didnt take PPI, but not so sure on that last one).

Will this delay my certificate of completion, since these things usually take so long to complete, I don't want to ignore them (no required reply date?) but at the same time like I don't want to rock the boat this close to the finish line...
Last edited by Chunky on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:07 pm
It shouldn't as you should be able to sign a deed of assignment - I suppose what isnt surprising is that they havent stated the options but they dont seem to have qa their contact list.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:19 am
I think I would be reluctant to sign any paperwork after 4 years without advice from a professional. Surely PPI claims should have been dealt with by now ...it feels very unfair on the debtor to still be having action taken on those debts that have now been concluded.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:11 am
My husbands completion letter came complete with a caveat that they would still pursue PPI claims but we've heard nothing since.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

marni1970

Post by marni1970 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 am
I also have received the same letter. Should I not just fill it in to save all the hassle?.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 am
It depends on when you received your completion certificate and whether PPI was ever a consideration of your IVA.

It is hard to identify what could happen if you do not complete.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

marni1970

Post by marni1970 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:46 am
I completed my have had my certificate 3 years now. I am certain i signed PPI forms from GT just before a received my certificate.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:49 am
They are "remining" this whole area.

You probably should sign them but I suggest that you add a caveat that you will not resign anything again should GT appoint another company.

Also - don't tell them if you move in future.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”