Is there anything we can do to start paying off our house ? We are on an interest only mortgage

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Amandadon22

Post by Amandadon22 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:29 pm
I really know that everything is my fault before I get any unhelpful comments. We finished our iva October 2013. We got the final certificate from GT in July 2014. We are with NRAM still for our mortgage which is not good, we are interest only still and this is what we can afford at the moment. We pay £500 per month for a mortgage of 134,000. We daren't ask what our repayments would be if we went onto a repayment mortgage with nram as they are not interested in giving the lowest rates. We want to start paying off our house but cannot afford about £900 per month. Is there anything we can do at all or are we still stuck!! Think our house would only go for about 138,000 or about 140,000 looking at the houses around. So we wouldn't have much to play with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:39 pm
I would suggest you have a word with Ryan ( details under the "Ask a Question" tab ( top left) and scroll down to the experts details section ). He is a whole of market broker with a lot of experience with adverse credit.

NRAM are trying to lose customers through natural wastage, so would probably be a non-starter anyway.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MrsR

Post by MrsR » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am
Hi Amandadon,

You could make regular overpayments to NRam for the time being to reduce the balance of your mortgage.

We are with Nram and are interest only due to the IVA, and I looked at going onto repayment last week and was told our payments could increase from £600 to £1020! The lady I spoke to said that by making regular overpayments of £200-300 per month, this would could come straight off the balance, as the interest is the set monthly amount being paid.
We've looked into using our IVA payment per month as the over payment for now until our 6 years are up and then shop around.

The good thing about overpayments are that you choose how much you pay, when you want to pay, you don't have to do it every month and their is no financial implications when doing this (except the interest you will save in the long term, which means your monthly interest mortgage amount should reduce !! )

I should probably add that I used to work in retail banking and sold mortgages :)
Started IVA 27th Feb 2012 - Due to complete 27th Jan 2018 !!

Full & Final submitted and accepted 30th March 2015, paid 10th April 2015 - 3 yrs 1 month into IVA :)

Completion Certificate received- 30th April 2015!!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:25 am
I echo Foggys advice ...chat to Ryan and see what your options are
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 am
You have very little equity so it could be difficult to move the mortgage. Overpayments would reduce the balance and create some equity but even without the IVA a remortgage would be tricky given the low level of equity. By all means speak to Ryan who could advise better.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 am
Is downsizing an option?

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Ryan

Industry Expert

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:04 pm
Hi Amandadon22
Can i ask, when did you enter the IVA?
Ryan Radford
IVA Mortgage Expert
Zebra Money Centre

IVA Mortgage advice needed? Looking at Right to Buy and completed IVA still on credit files ?

Contact me at http://www.ivamortgageexpert.co.uk or via the expert page

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:33 am
One positive thing about NRAM (iirc) is that there's no caps on payments. I'm with them too, also on int-only and plan to make huge inroads into it when I come off the end of my IVA by paying every penny I can in reducing the capital.

Whilst the SVR isn't great, it will be useful to be able to decide not to make any overpayments if I need to keep some cash back for something.

Ryan, I'm a way off completing my IVA at the moment but I'd be interested to speak with you to find about more about the post-IVA process and what sort of criteria come into play. Would it be ok to have a chat with you in the interim?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:33 am
Ryan is always available to advise at whatever stage of your journey ... drop him an email or call him.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Ryan

Industry Expert

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 am
thisusernameistaken - More than happy to have a chat over this. My contact details can be found nuder the Experts tab on the left hand side. Or click the website in my signature and my contact number is on this.
Ryan Radford
IVA Mortgage Expert
Zebra Money Centre

IVA Mortgage advice needed? Looking at Right to Buy and completed IVA still on credit files ?

Contact me at http://www.ivamortgageexpert.co.uk or via the expert page
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”