Personal Health Budgets

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed May 20, 2015 7:31 pm
Hi

This is work related and aimed specifically at Andy, Michael, Lisa etc. - if someone was awarded one of the new personal health budgets that are now being launched would this count as income or be regarded as a grant that could not be touched under bankruptcy or an IVA.

If a PHB is agreed someone may be allowed a low to high 5 to 6 figure sum to support their health needs.

There are varying models being tried across the country and awards may be made via councils or health trusts.

This is not DLA or anything like that - the sum is provided so that they might purchase additional support, care, equipment etc.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am
To be honest I have never heard of them so have no idea. However usually anything for disability is excluded and if the funds are needed for care, diet etc I would assume they would be exempt. It would be for the insolvency service to decide on any IPOs and I would think it unlikely they would pursue such funds.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu May 21, 2015 10:23 am
Hi

Like Michael I am not aware of them however a lump sum specifically for health needs should be ring fenced and not form part of any IVA

Regards
Andam Davies

abbiesmum2003

Post by abbiesmum2003 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm
http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourch ... dgets.aspx

As a healthcare professional I woukd expect this money to be protected and not count as income. It is a an allowance for people in need to finance their care. Its funding with purpose rather than income, and certainly not disposable income. We are not hearing much about them in hospital but getting patients coming in from community with PHB so aware of them when planning discharges. Hope that helps.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:10 pm
Thanks - my problem is trying to make the process work. There are a combination of models where trusts administer it, ccgs administer it, councils could be involved etc.

If there is even a risk that it could be taken its something I need to factor in as that could mean having to ask someone what there financial status is or place greater controls on how it is accessed.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu May 21, 2015 3:06 pm
Hi I'm afraid I too do not know anything about the PHBs to be able to comment except to say that if an amount has been assessed as being a necessary budget for your health needs then it would seem fair that that figure/money is allowable as an expense of your income. Sure, an IP can challenge it but it would be harsh to do so if a professional is saying otherwise!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

KevC

Post by KevC » Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm
Hi, whilst I have no knowledge of IVA I do have extensive knowledge of Personal Budgets, Personal Health Budgets and Direct Payments for both social care and Health care.

Funds paid directly to an individual by the CCG or Social Services are paid either into a separate bank account specifically for the purpose of paying for the outcomes of a care plan, or they are paid onto a prepayment card again to meet the specific outcomes of a care plan.

They are not income to the individual and there are strict auditing structures in place to ensure the funds are not used for personal use.

These funds are different to payments for Disability Living Allowance/PIP or other social security disability related benefits

To answer your question funds paid by the CCG/ Social Services are not regarded as income to an individual and so should not form part of any income calculations of an sort

Hope that helps
"Think Different today to B Different Tomorrow" (T A. Brimage)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri May 22, 2015 1:05 pm
Thanks Kevin. While I have not come across any cases like this to date it is good to know.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri May 22, 2015 1:17 pm
Hi KevC

Thanks for that - is there specific legislation that defines the basis of the payment?

I'm aware of the restrictions but more concerned that what is being implemented is "guidance" and that is not the same as "legal basis".

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm
To answer my own question s75 of the NHS Act 2006 covers this.

Essentially funds are "delegated" to organisations or individuals.

They should not form part of any I&E assessment by an IP if this is declared nor treated in any way similar to DLA etc.

Final control of the funds rests with the organisation that has delegated them to an individual.

NHS Protect (which essentially is the NHS counter fraud and crime prevention organisation) or council equivalents would have to consider taking action should funds be redirected.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”