We did an IVA with Debt Matters in 2006. Now difficulties with GT are preventing sale of house

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Brian.h

Post by Brian.h » Fri May 22, 2015 9:26 am
my wife and I entered into an iva with debt matters in 2006 but where than transferred to grant thornton after 12 months.the iva was to last 5 years @ £100 each for this period all payments where made on time for the full 5 years.i was made redundand in 2009 and out of work for 12 weeks and was told to pay an extra £100 per month till the end of the iva which amounted to £1000.at the end of the 5 years I phoned to make sure everything was in order and was told it was.about 7 months later I had a letter off g t saying I owed £840 into the iva I phoned to ask why and was told it was extra overtime for the last year which I disputed as I had done nothing different to what I had done in all the other years.they said they would look into it and get back to me but never did.i just kept getting letters saying I owed this money and every time I phoned them each time I got a different reason as to why I owed this money.1)it was extra overtime in my last year.2)it was owed from when I was redundant.3)it was from my 1st year from debt matters.then my wife got letters saying she owed £420 in overtime payments I phoned again to explain that my wife has been on incapacity benefit since before we entered into the iva it wasn't possible.no response just more letters of the same.i have asked to speak to the superviser mark allen and was told I couldn't or have his email address although I have emaild the company twice all I get back is confirmation they have received it.when we entered onto the iva we had to sign a form from the land registry to debt matters as we were on an interest only mortgage this has now come to an end and my wife's disabilities we had to apply to and where granted a bungalow I contacted gt explained my situation and was told I could sell the house which I have but have now run into difficulties with the sale as the name of the person from debt matters is still on the land registery .

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am
If you are getting nowhere sorting this out I would suggest starting a formal complaint, which can be escalated to their regulatory body if need be.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 am
From earlier posts, this is the GT complaints procedure (if it gets as far as complaining to the Regulatory Body (IPA, in this case)the complaint will be against the IP ( who is the member) not the company (who is not):

1 If a client expresses unhappiness with the service provided by this firm, then in the first instance the concerns will be dealt with by the manager responsible for the area that gave rise to the complaint and you will receive a formal response in that regard within one month of the date of this letter. Should we require additional time to investigate the matter, you will of course be advised accordingly.

2 If the matter cannot be resolved by the relevant manager, you can then direct your complaint to my designated senior member of staff Mr Paul Madden at Grant Thornton, Waters Edge, Clarendon Dock, Belfast, BT1 3BH.

3 If you continue to be dissatisfied with my firm's response to your complaint, you can then write to Ms Fiona Beighton - the Head of Quality & Risk Management who deals with any complaints arising from the firm's recovery department - at Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2P 2YU.

In the unlikely event that my firm is unable to resolve your complaint you can then complain to my regulatory body – the Insolvency Practitioners Association.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”