Never heard from Money Plus after annual reviews. Now they are issuing excess demands

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Keith.dv

Post by Keith.dv » Fri May 29, 2015 11:40 pm
I have paid all 5 years of agreed payments. Submitted info every year. Took out initially with 'the debt people' . For first half of it they were great adjusted my payments to cover surplus income. Then they got took over by money plus. I always did annual review, but money plus never got in touch about taking surplus income and my payments remained the same. I assumed that I was ok. Last payment taken in Aug 2014. Never heard owt till April this year. They have now come up with several 1000's I had excess to owe. Is this acceptable? How can they leave it till the end and let it all mount up. What should I do?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat May 30, 2015 4:23 am
It does seem unfair to do this now I agree but equally did you not chase up the annual report after each review ?

It is just as much your responsibility as it is your IPs to ensure any uplifts in payments are made as they happen....when you received the additional monies did you inform your IP as they were received?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 30, 2015 10:08 am
As Luluj says, the running of an IVA is as much in your court as it is in theirs. However, as they have been at fault too hopefully they will work with you to sort this out.

I am afraid, if your income did increase, or you had extra income ( overtime etc), the money will be payable .... maybe they will agree to spread this over a few months.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 am
So what is an IP actually required to do and when they get it wrong what mechanisms are in place?

Basically it seems to be coming to we are supposed to know more about their job than they do.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 30, 2015 1:07 pm
An IP, Lifenoteasy, is more of a referee ( though I doubt they like that term). They supervise the IVA, but, in reality, the debtor is responsible for ensuring the terms are complied with.

Ultimately, if we feel they have made an incorrect judgement we have the usual recourse to the Courts. The Regulatory bodies appear toothless in this regard.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat May 30, 2015 6:01 pm
Hi

It seems very unfair if they have not supervised the IVA in accordance with the original chairmans report, they are paid by your creditors to do the job correctly and if you have supplied all payslips and/or bank statements as requested each year and yet have not been asked to increase payments then I think you have just cause to raise an official complaint.
Use the companies own complaints procedure in the first instance

Regards
Andam Davies

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 am
Foggy is right - hence the title 'Supervisor'. I agree with Andy you should use their internal complaints system first making sure you do everything in writing, possible by recorded delivery so there can be no argument that they haven't received it. Hopefully an extension can be arranged allowing you time to make up any valid payments that are due.
Last edited by Lisa Thomas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:53 am
A "supervisor" is one who is in charge or has control of.

Additionally when an iva is proposed the ip acts of the representative of the person whose iva is being proposed.

They have an ongoing duty of care throughout that relationship that only terminates when the cc is issued.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 am
Nb they also had a duty to send you a notice of breach as soon as they became aware of it so you could challenge this too.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 am
A duty of care was established by Lord denning in 2002.

It's beien interesting delving into what is hidden away on the web.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”