I've been told the DLA money I receive will be included in the total income I receive ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Julie.g

Post by Julie.g » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:31 pm
I've been told the DLA money I receive every month will be included in the total income I receive I thought DLA wasn't mean tested

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:22 am
It is still treated as income but you should balance it out on the expenditure side or if get higher rate mobility move it to motability.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 am
I should add that if the DLA represents most of the money that you are paying into the IVA then Motability would not be an option because the income is committed BUT also if you have not had the creditors meeting reconsider if an IVA is the appropriate route.

With the move from DLA to PiP there is no guarantee that you would keep the DLA as PiP has a different set of criteria and is new legislation which is why the assessments are allowed.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:49 am
Income is income I am afraid, but most IP's will balance DLA out with the expenses it is meant to cover, to it is still used for it's intended purpose.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 am
If your IP is using the DLA as part of your surplus then this would be wrong and if you have not agreed to the IVA yet I suggest you go to another IP. If you are already in the IVA list the DLA but then completely exclude it as an expense because it has specific purposes and is not guaranteed.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 pm
My hubbys disability meant we started claiming for DLA after the start of our IVA. The high rate of the mobility portion was swapped for the car, and the low rate care he gets is included in our income. With his wages and our child benefit it all gets added up as income and our expenditure just shows normal monthly outgoings etc.

its never been excluded for nearly three years, we did ring Mel at the time to go through the motability bit and she was happy that we were doing this. Esp as the reason for the claim is because he is immobile and needed the car. Lets face it the motability money doesn't even go into the bank, its paid direct to the car company.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:21 pm
It is possible that your expense figures were increased as a result of the DLA and may have exceeded guideline figures. This is another way of doing it but ultimately affordability is key and if you have gotten this far hopefully not long to go.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”