phone call 4 years after completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

JustinUK

Post by JustinUK » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 pm
I today had a very strange phone call on a number never given out to the IVA companies. I changed it after completion so was shocked to get this call to say the least, thought I had heard the end of it now it has been 4 years since completion.

Anyway they said they knew I had been in a IVA previously. How has this company

a) got my name
b) got hold of a telephone number I have never given out to anyone in connection with the IVA

Where are my details stored. I am not on the IVA register anymore and completed the IVA and was removed from the IVA register in 2011 but agiain these people never had my number

The explanation I was given was that if I entered my details online that the company would have paid to have my details matched up. But even this I don't believe is legal is it assuming there are data protection laws around this? The guy did have my name and new number though and knew I had been in a IVA, so very concerning.
Last edited by JustinUK on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm
At the end of the day it comes down to what they were trying to sell/get you to agree to.

See https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/news-a ... nce-calls/ for how big this problem can be.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 pm
These firms invest considerable sums in various systems designed to phish personal details from numerous sources -- they generally go for a woolly match and often hit pay dirt -- a game of chance.

I have a facebook account ... no public email details .. but if I talk about, say, buying a Sebo vacuum cleaner to friends -- lo and behold I get a marketing email from the firm shortly afterward.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 pm
It wouldn't surprise me to know that companies regularly 'harvest' the public information (such the IR) and retain that information long after the IVA or BR has subsequently dropped off.

I think it's wrong that an IVA or BR is listed publicly. What's the purpose other than shaming the person? Those that need to know can find out (ie. financial institutions etc) so why make it a matter of public record?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:57 pm
You hit the nail on the head with the listing's purpose being to shame the debtor -- this is a hangover from previous times when BR was a heinous crime that put you in the stocks for public humiliation.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:03 pm
At least IVA's do drop off public record. Bankruptcies last forever on the London Gazette Archive.

Have a look and you'll see bankruptcy records going back years... much more than 6. All public - but IVA's are not listed of course.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:05 pm
By the way, this company that called, what did they want to sell you?
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”