Would my possible bonus increase the amount I pay or satisfy my agreed amount ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Natasha.h

Post by Natasha.h » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am
I have 7 payments left of my IVA - nearly there yay! I pay £200 a month. I've just been advised I may be getting a £10,000 bonus (around £8000 after tax). I know if this happened I would need to declare this and 50% would be taken. However, this would be £4000 and I only have £1400 left to pay over the next 7 payments. However, I am only repaying £12,000 of a £32,000 debt so would they still take the £4,000 and merely increase the amount of the original debt that I pay? Or would they take the £1400 just to satisfy my agreed amount? Thank you.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 am
Your would have to pay half the bonus [after claiming the 10% first] over even if it was the last payment to your IVA. You could possibly offer £1400 from your share and close the IVA down which I am sure would be acceptable.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am
During the IVA you always owe the full original debt plus fees. Only at the end is anything unpaid written off. So they will take their share of the bonus and this will simply increase the amount of debt you have managed to pay back.

Unlike Michael, I cannot see them accepting the £1400 and missing out on an extra £4000.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 am
Foggy.
Natasha's share of the overtime would be excluded from the IVA anyway so no reason why she could not use some to close it down. Otherwise she can keep the £4,000 and just pay the £200 per month as normal. Certainly worth putting forward.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:16 pm
Ah -- I see .... pay the amount due and pay of with the retained share. Can't see the wood for the tree this morning !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm
I hope that is because you had a great night last night.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm
I wish !! It was that extra second --- completely messed up the body clock :-)

Natasha.h

Post by Natasha.h » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:48 pm
Thanks both.

Can I pose another question please? If my partner was to offer to pay the £1400 on my behalf as full and final payment and this was accepted, how long would it then be until I got my completion certificate? He's not included in the IVA as I was already 2 years in before we met.

The reason I'm asking this is as the bonus, if it does materialise, wouldn't be for a couple of months. If I could fully complete and ave my completion certificate before I get the bonus, would I then get to keep it all? As if this is all ok and above board of course I'll do what I can to keep as much of it as I can. However, if this is something you think would be against the terms of my IVA then I wouldn't pursue it.

Thanks again.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:59 pm
It would take a few months to process anyway to get acceptance so they may think you are too close to the end given costs to call the meeting. It can take up to six months from then to complete but this seems to depend who you are with. I understand you wanting to keep as much as you can but at the end of the day your creditors are wiping off thousands that you agreed to repay with interest when you took it. Paying back as much as you canis part of the agreement in my opinion.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:01 pm
A bonus payment is taken into account in the month in which it is paid to you -- if this is after the certificate has been issued then it will all be yours.

Indeed, being income related it should be discounted from the arrangement after you have made your final payment. As I understand it, it is normally only the obligation to pay over windfalls that continues post last payment. However, the application of that will depend upon the wording of the variation bringing about the settlement.

The issue of the certificate depends upon who you are with: Many take a few weeks, most take around 3 months and GT will take at least 6 months.
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha.h

Post by Natasha.h » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:13 pm
Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful :)
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”