new job and credit check

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

marsha1

Post by marsha1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:03 pm
Hi all, I may be starting a new job soon and the company will do a credit check. I have done my own 2.00 stat reports from all three agencies and all is showing okay. However one of the quetions on the pre employment form is "have you ever been in an arrangement with your creditors"?
My IVA has been finished for three years and I have no sign of it on my reports so I was going to answer no to this question. Can I have a bit of advice please folks.

Thanks

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:12 pm
Sorry to say but because of the wording you may have to say yes.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm
Well .... you can answer "no" and gamble that your new employers never ( NEVER) find out .. if and when they do you can be dismissed for making a fraudulent statement on your application.

Or, you can answer "yes" and they will probably ask you about it. Be honest, you had a problem and you dealt with it. If they then don't want you , you didn't want the job anyway. If they still want you, you have no ongoing fears.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 pm
What kind of job are you applying for?

Is it likely to matter?

If it's a big company they might just have a single standard form that they give to everyone regardless of role.

If you answer yes and have to tell them that you did come to arrangement with creditors more than 8 years ago but it's long since done and dusted - do you think it will matter?

I guess I'm answering a question with a question!

But I do feel personally that when it's gone it's gone - clean slate and I'd be saying "No". But others disagree with me and I think you've really got decide for yourself.
Last edited by hubert on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 am
I would suggest honesty is the best policy. They might be more inclined to pause about it if you were still in an IVA, but can't see what your own circumstances would make a difference, depending on what job it is.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

doritos

Post by doritos » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:09 am
Just tell them, honesty is the best policy

Unless the new place is really picky, or require DV security you can get hired with an IVA no problem.

Steven1001

Post by Steven1001 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 am
My wife had the same issue. Once she had her job offer she spoke to the HR manager. They asked her to detail everything in an email and looked into it. They thanked her for her honesty and said it wasn't a problem! She's still working there now and says its the best job she's ever had.

If they say you can't work there, then it's their loss and was never meant to be!! Good luck!!
There's more to life than money....but it does help!!

64 payments made. Full and final with payments made to date accepted on 26/05/15 :-) completion certificate received 17/06/15 :)
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”