Am on an IVA and desperately need a business account.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Heidi.h

Post by Heidi.h » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 am
Am on an Iva and desperately need a business account. I have been turned by major banks and online, cash plus. Can unhelp

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 am
Welcome to the forum. I am not sure who of the main high street banks will allow a business account whilst you are in an iva. Credit checks are done I believe in the same way as they are for personal banking.
My husband is self employed and we use a personal basic bank account ..it allows direct debits and has internet banking for customers to pay via. We have a bank card that we can use on line to purchase items ... we use a lloyds account, but were using a Halifax account while our iva was active.
The other option is looking at internet accounts ...no high street branches .. prob here though is paying in money can be restrictive
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 am
If mycashplus are failing you it is more likely that they cannot establish your identity etc.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm
One of the restrictions I found when exploring such accounts was the cashplus business account allows a maximum balance (from memory) of about £5k, so if you had a high turnover business (with only marginally lower costs) I'm not sure what would happen if the balance exceeded this as they are not FSA regulated, I'd love to know if anyone has ever experienced this.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:57 pm
Transfer excess to a cash isa or consider using an umbrella company thereby allowing income to go to a normal account.

Reality it comes down to what you do, potential turnover, vat registered etc.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

zee

Post by zee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:57 am
Wishing you well. Let us know how it goes so that perhaps in future some one on this platform may benefit

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:35 am
Hope you find that account you're looking for. I now some people run a second current account alongside because of the difficulty of opening one
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:55 am
Another option and I have not thought this through fully, for example if its a ltd company bank account you need, you could setup a new ltd with someone with a good credit history and they are 100% shareholder director! they then apply for the business account with a bank that offers free banking,

The paperwork they sign declares there is no one else in the business that owns more than xx% and voting rights. Once the company has been trading a while it may issue more shares or indeed the director may sell out some shares to you such that for example you become 51% (or 100% shareholder) the paperwork they sign may not have said if they had an obligation to let the bank know about future changes, only the current situation, if you're not using dividends then it's no big deal if they just remain the director (if you trust them and they trust you to run the business) you could just be the non share holding manager of the business.

Someone I know in an IVA has done this and their relative is the director of the ltd, but they have not attempted to switch the shareholding into their name as they are happy for their mother to remain the director until they have a clean credit file, mainly because any search on the ltd will show directors and then someone could see a director associated with a ltd, with an IVA, may discourage potential clients in the future.

Anyone know if banks periodically check status of directors once an account is already up and running, if there is no credit facility on it ?
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:31 am
That would mean becoming an employee of the company with massive tax implications.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:22 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by lifenoteasy

That would mean becoming an employee of the company with massive tax implications.
I agree if dividends are more efficient than a salary and tax thresholds, so many variable where a salary may be favourable for e.g. pension contributions etc etc, was just an idea if the requirement was for a LTD bank account vs a personal one, the individual could always invoice the LTD from Mr smith T/A invoice......etc etc, so many variables.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”