Barclays Bank (good news)

5 posts Page 1 of 1

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:44 pm
When I started my IVA I was steered towards Secure Trust Bank, not knowing any different I went with what my IP was suggesting even though it was a paid account. In year 4 I decided that I wanted a 'proper' high street account and after searching about settled with trying Barclay's. They weren't a creditor so I thought I at least stood a chance with them. I applied online only to be told that I needed to go to a branch as I was in an IVA. They made all the arrangements and I met with a very understanding staff member who told me the IVA was not a barrier to getting an account. Although I would not be offered their current account I could apply for a Cash Card account, Visa debit, DD and SO facilities, online and phone banking. No overdraft or loans available. I applied for and was accepted for this account and have kept my account in the black every month. Once my IVA was over I had all the extra cash in my account that had gone to pay my IVA, we stayed on the same budget and haven't gone mental on spending since. My CC was issued in July and obviously Barclays have been informed as today I receive a letter from them stating that as of 16 Oct 2015 I will be upgraded to a full Current Account with all the 'normal' benefits, overdraft, contactless card, Barclay card (if I want one)etc. I am well impressed as I was/am happy with the cash card account as it is and really didn't expect any changes until well after the 6 year drop off point of my defaults. So if you are looking for a high street bank, that isn't one of your creditors, then give Barclays a go.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:09 pm
To be fair secure trust isn't bad because you can never get fees for anything that is bounced.

The monthly charge is a pain but fee paying accounts look like coming back anyway.

However always good to see someone getting back into mainstream banking#128516;
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:14 pm
That is brilliant, well done goes to show with time things do improve.

Similarly I had NatWest basic account now have their full account, with overdraft should I ever need it (only once so far) and their credit card, will be saying goodbye to vanquis soon but to be fair I've been happy with Vanquis so a bit loathed to dismiss it.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:49 am
Great advice for others to follow
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:03 pm
@lifenoteasy: Yep, to be fair the Secure Trust Account was never a bad option. While in the IVA I never tested the no charge on failed DD's or SO's, but I was aware that I wouldn't be charged if I ever missed one.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”