My partner has been refused a mortgage. Should we close our joint account ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Elizabeth.j

Post by Elizabeth.j » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm
My partner has been refused for a mortgage because I have an IVA, even though the mortgage was going to be in his name only. The reason stated was our financial association. My question is, if we close our joint bank account( our only joint finances), will he stand a better chance of being accepted in the future?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:47 pm
Hi and welcome,

The fact that you do have a financial association will impact on his credit rating.

Is this account included in the IVA at all?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:55 pm
This may not be insurmountable so speak with one of the experts who post here as they have come across this is in the past. You will find the details of Shaun Vickery from Select Partnership and also Ryan in the experts section.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Elizabeth.j

Post by Elizabeth.j » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 pm
No the account isn't included in the IVA as it was opened after the IVA was in effect. It's a 'basic' bank account with no overdraft facility which was the only current account available to us because of the IVA

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:57 pm
If you have a financial association on each other's credit file the only solution is to close any joint accounts or mortgages or whatever is reported as the association (see free noddle credit report) once you have closed these you may need to sign forms at a bank to confirm you are no longer financial associates. I had this about 6 years ago when I split up with a previous partner and we both had to sign forms with Natwest once we had closed joint accounts etc and sent a copy of these to the CRA's and the financial associate link was removed.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:58 pm
P.s. Once you have closed said account you can send a "report inaccurate data" on the credit file.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Elizabeth.j

Post by Elizabeth.j » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:26 pm
Thanks Longslog1o1, really helpful info :-)

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 pm
Have a chat with Ryan and or Shaun as suggested.Your financial association will remain on file for a while even if you do close your joint account, although as suggested you can request it be removed and your account updated.
Expert advice from Ryan or Shaun will hopefully identify a solution.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Ryan

Industry Expert

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:29 pm
Hi Elizabeth.j-
We have helped someone in a very similar position as you.
I would need ton know more information so please get in touch to discuss further.
Ryan Radford
IVA Mortgage Expert
Zebra Money Centre

IVA Mortgage advice needed? Looking at Right to Buy and completed IVA still on credit files ?

Contact me at http://www.ivamortgageexpert.co.uk or via the expert page
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”