My husband does not contribute to household costs. Can I proceed with an IVA on my income ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Lorraine.l

Post by Lorraine.l » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:12 pm
I live with my husband however cannot take his earnings into account as he pays his own debts etc and maintenance for children, can I proceed with an IVA on my income only? He does not contribute to the household costs where we live as he cannot afford too.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:15 pm
Hi and welcome.

Have you spoken to any companies about this?

You need to get some free advice. Speak to Andy Davie/Vincent Bond and they can point you in the right direction.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 pm
Speak to a few companies. Cannot imagine your creditors agreeing to support him for the duration of the iva though which is essentially what you're asking.

If he cannot service his own debts and contribute to his living expenses, perhaps he should be seeking advice too. Sort everythingin one go and move fforward together.

NTF Financial Solutions

Post by NTF Financial Solutions » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:58 am
Creditors expect each person in a household to pay their "share" to the costs. Therefore they would usually expect to see a full disclosure showing that after paying his sole costs (own debts, child maintenance etc) he is still paying his share to the joint costs (rent, utilities etc).
There are of course exceptions, such as if you have only just moved in etc. but you would need to justify this to creditors who would still want to be satisfied that your husband is paying his share.
James Kaye and Nick Morgan, Insolvency Practitioners with over 30 years combined experience.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm
Plus there are a couple of iva companies that take whole of household income into account so even if a partner is not in the iva they are expected to contribute to the other persons liabilities.

Understanding how an iva company does annual assessments is critical.

However there is no argument with the principle of both people in a relationship contributing to household costs.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”