Can my husbands IVA company double his payments when I return to work ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Oonagh

Post by Oonagh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:31 pm
Can my husbands IVA company double his IVA payments when I have returned to work ? The company is not accepting my child care as it is not registered as I start work very early and the person comes to my home.
I have paid 1 year debt plan and have been told it was better to do an IVA but my debts had not been included and I object to my wage and child care being included in my husbands figures, as our payment has increased 80% already in 4 years.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 pm
If you are not in the IVA then you are under no obligation to provide your husband's IP with any information at all. However it is better if these things are done properly and your childcard costs are what they are whether registered or not.

In addition, if you have any extra money then this money should go to your creditors and not his which would shorten the time of your debt management plan.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:40 pm
Can you say what companies you are with as this sounds like a strangely familiar scenario.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 am
Hi If you don't provide details of your income the IP will likely have to assume the expenditure is split 50:50 between you both and this is what they will base his affordable contributions on. If you contribute less that it might therefore be in your favour to prove this to show he pays the lions share of the bills and has less to pay into his IVA estate.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:42 pm
What a bunch of arses not accepting your childcare costs, so you need childcare to return to work so they will accept a share of the extra revenue but not accept that you need childcare to do it..... Sounds like a familiar trik by one of the firms, please name them so we know.

If it was me and they were being unreasonable like this to me about mrs longslog returning to work here is an idea I just thought of (assuming mrs longslog was not a party to an IVA).

What would happen if you were in a rent a room scheme from your husband and paid him e.g. £50 a week including bills ? He would have to declare the extra £200 per month (but would have to pay tax on it, so perhaps he only gets a percentage of that and they are due half of that) and his liabilities to the bills would be 100% !! Not 50-50 split, so if they're going to be tw@'s about it I would personally consider this instead and you refusing to disclose all information (as Michwel said you're not obliged to).

if it just so happens the extra £100 a month or so they make from the room rent scheme is the same as what you would earn less child costs then it's playing them at their own silly game but in a way they couldn't argue with, the irony is they would potentially get more if they allowed the childcare cost option...yes, its' being a bit creative and skinning the cat in a different way to achieve the proper outcome ..I don't see why you shouldn't use the same "grey" rule book to your advantage !! Simply download a tenancy agreement online and draw up the rent a room lease and it's all factually True... Gosh imagine if it meant your husband payments dropped because his costs as. Landlord went up too !!

Its by shaming the likes of the firms you're with that help us make sure others don't go there and shows who the sensible ones are.
[:D]
Last edited by longslog101 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 am
Longslog - there are 2 issues 1) the rights of the other person and 2) proving expenditure which both people in the relationship contribute to (or should).

If the child minder is coming to the property and receipts are not being issued then the employer is inherently liable for tax, NI and pension contributions if income is not declared.

There is also the other issue of whether the child minder is registered.

On this one I have some sympathy for the iva company which is not a regular thing.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:29 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by lifenoteasy

Longslog - there are 2 issues 1) the rights of the other person and 2) proving expenditure which both people in the relationship contribute to (or should).

If the child minder is coming to the property and receipts are not being issued then the employer is inherently liable for tax, NI and pension contributions if income is not declared.

There is also the other issue of whether the child minder is registered.

On this one I have some sympathy for the iva company which is not a regular thing.
Ha ha, I disagree, there are many mums uk wide who would never return to work given the price of registered childcare hence the number of mums who never return, better to sit on benefits ! So when someone makes an informal arrangement with someone for cheap friends to look after their kids when at work so they can go and earn a wage I have no sympathy for the IVA company not allowing this expense but wanting its cut of the profit. That's like a shareholder only wanting dividends from revenue instead of profits ( revenue less expenses). I'm sure the original poster only pays her friends the "expenses" involved in looking are her child..... So I would personally play the IVA firm at its own game as detailed above or similar.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:16 pm
Dont get me onto legitimate expenses - the next budget does not let good for people like me.

Also I've helped raise 5 children so on the one hand agree with you and on the other hand have to point out that without receipts the expenditure does not exist.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”