Hello everyone I am a reader of the forum but this is my first question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Louise.29

Post by Louise.29 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 pm
Hello everyone. I’m a reader of the forum but this is my first proper question so I’m hoping someone can help :)
I’ve just completed Year 2 of a Six Year IVA with Aperture (formerly Grant Thornton). I just received a text yesterday to say that my payments would remain the same after my Annual Review which is good news.
My problem is that my car is entirely on it’s last legs. I don’t have enough characters to go into detail but I’ve spent £850 on it since July which is more than it’s worth and it’s about to implode again.
I need my car for getting to and from work, getting my child to school and to her father’s/grandparents for childcare etc. I have heard about people in IVAs being able to obtain car finance with their Provider’s permission and I’m wondering if this is something Aperture are likely to agree to. I’ve had a look at Midland Car Credit who look like they would be able to offer me an amount for a decent, reliable, economical car which I would pay at about £150 over three years (I haven’t applied for a quote as would want permission from my IP provider first). If Aperture agreed to this, I would finance this monthly payment at no detriment to my IVA payment (relatives have agreed to forgo some of my childcare costs, my maintenance figure would be lower and I got a promotion in work of which I have been allowed to keep 50% of per month). So it would be a realignment of monies as such.
Do you think this is something Aperture would be likely to consider and approve? I know that payment breaks are usually granted, but I fear that my car is likely to pack in within the next week or so given the horrendous noises it’s making, and I do not have the money to repair it, nor could I save enough in a payment break to buy another which was not going to cause me the same headaches of constant repairs! Could anyone offer some advice on this please? I haven’t approached them formally yet, I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 pm
It sounds like you have done your homework and I cannot see any reason your IP would refuse permission. Tell them what you have just posted here as it is clear and self explanatory. It should not even need a variation only IP approval.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Louise.29

Post by Louise.29 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:49 pm
Thank you so much for your reply Michael! I've been reading lots of threads on here where people were refused permission to seek credit for car finance so I thought I may have been seeking the impossible. I dread the thought of driving my car home tonight, there's no telling when it's going to pack up! Do you think it's best to email rather than phone?

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:53 pm
Hi Louise - always best to do in writing and ensure you get confirmation of receipt.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 pm
I agree with Lisa that it is better in writing. Send the email and possibly a letter as well and mark it extremely urgent. Advise GT/Aperture of the dangerous state of your current vehicle and hopefully they come back to you very quickly. Get confirmation from Midland that the funds will be available even with the IVA and that should be everything.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

FormerlyST1100

Post by FormerlyST1100 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:22 pm
Hi Louise, I was in a similar position earlier this year but was in the final few months of my IVA.
My car (already replaced during IVA) broke down completely and needed replacing so I could work.

I was with Stepchange and went to MidlandCredit for the loan with Stepchanges permission.

Unfortunately Midland found the only lender that would lend while in an IVA was Moneybarn.

Moneybarn has a few conditions regarding the car to be purchased, ie age of the car at end of loan, the mileage at purchase and they will only lend the trade value of the car with min deposit of £400.
I was lucky in that I found a car being sold by a dealer for less than trade value and they took my old car for the deposit amount.

I was also able to fund the purchase with savings in fuel (35mpg compared to 19mpg)and savings in maintenance costs and using some other allowances towards it. Stepchange were OK with this as long as it did not affect my ability to keep up the IVA payments.

Good luck with Aperture and I hope you get a result from it and get your car replaced.

Louise.29

Post by Louise.29 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:20 pm
Thank you so much for your replies everyone! I have emailed Aperture outlining my situation and detailing how it would be of no detrimental effect to my current IVA repayment arrangement. Hopefully they get back to me soon with a positive response - I'm already dreading the drive home tonight with the fear at every junction!

I will keep you informed of the outcome. Thanks again :)

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:24 pm
Good luck!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 am
Step change are coming across recently as being really reasonable compared to some other companies.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”