I have an IVA, the bank have frozen my account without any warning. What can I do ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Sylvia.71

Post by Sylvia.71 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:08 pm
I have an IVA the bank have frozen my account without any warning. My wages have to go into this account. What can I do

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Did this money go into an overdrawn account or your new one?
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 pm
Hi and welcome,

If this is either HSBC or First Direct then they are well known for closing down accounts.

I would try and get another account such as Co-op or Yorkshire Bank.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:33 am
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would source another bank account with immediate effect along with informing any persons who may be paying into this of your new details, then set up the DD's or SO's again.

To freeze an account some do, I appreciate that but without warning is a bit unfair in my humble opinion
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:52 am
Hi Sylvia you need to try and open up a new bank acc asap whilst you try to see if the existing bank will defrost the account. See if your Supervisor can help. Was the account overdrawn or in credit?
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:37 pm
The company that helped you go in to the IVA should have made sure you had banking facilities that were not associated with one of your creditors, even if your current account has always been in good condition a debt in e,g, a credit card be,I ing to a bank which is part of the same group have the right to freeze any assets they hold.

Like others say,
1. Make sure no one else pays anything in there
2. Open a new account (cashplus online and you have a sort code and account number within minutes and card arrives within a week), so at least your wages can go in there,
then also open a coop cashminder (need to ask for forms over phone, and takes about 2 weeks to setup).
3. If a creditor has frozen credit in an account after IVA started I don't know if that is them technically taking more than their share of a dividend ? Either way I imagine getting your hands back on that money will not be a fast process, if you get your hands back on it at all.

Which company advised you on the IVA setup, they should have checked this really to make sure it wouldn't happen.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:40 pm
Ps the above assumes coop not one of your creditors (or part of a group who are).
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”