Offer of a secured loan instead of remortgage or extension has come as a shock and worry.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Nat.16

Post by Nat.16 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 am
we are in month 61 of iva and just had letter regarding equity release. being offered a secured loan of 6,500 over 21 years at £118 per month at an interest rate of 23.2 variable, this means i will be expected to pay 30,000 back. my original paperwork stated after 60 months look at remortgage or another 12 months of payments. obviously this has come as a shock and worry so would like some advice how to deal with this as we are so close to the end!!!!

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:49 pm
Unless you have signed to accept the new protocol then I doubt that you can be MADE to take out a secured loan over a 12 month extension of payments to your IVA. You need to speak directly with your IP and express that you will not take out a secured loan as it was never an option or a consideration when you took out the IVA.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:08 pm
This sounds like a standard clause from the newer terms and conditions and possibly don't apply to your IVA unless you signed something accepting a variaiton of the terms.

In any event I believe you don't have to accept the offer in which case the 12 month extension should apply instead.

Speak to your IP initially and point out that the secured loan does not appear to apply to your IVA.

It may just be a case that you were sent the wrong letter template...
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:38 pm
As tempting as the offer is......no thanks should be your answer!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:14 am
There are 3 companies in particular pushing these basically saying that secured loans are an option based on their reasonable interpretation of the older protocols.

It will come down to how hard you feel about this but an immediate complaint should be made.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:34 pm
If you have the older protocols and have not accepted a variation to move to the newer version and the IP has decided to pervert his understanding of the old wording to include secured lending, i.e assuming a remortgage and a secured loan are the same thing, then they are still bound by the lending limitations built in to the old equity clause. The old clauses limit remortgage payments to 50 % of the IVA payment as well as limiting the term to not go beyond the original mortgage term.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 am
Unfortunately the 2010 Protocol does allow for the term to be extended beyond what it was. The actual wording is;

• The remortgage term does not extend beyond the later of the debtor’s State retirement age or the existing mortgage term.

This means that if there is a remortgage product available you could have to switch your entire mortgage to it at sub prime rates and extend the term for any number oif years. In such an instance a secured loan may be a better option.

It does depend on whether there is a remortgage product available.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Michael Peoples

Unfortunately the 2010 Protocol does allow for the term to be extended beyond what it was. The actual wording is;

• The remortgage term does not extend beyond the later of the debtor’s State retirement age or the existing mortgage term.

This means that if there is a remortgage product available you could have to switch your entire mortgage to it at sub prime rates and extend the term for any number oif years. In such an instance a secured loan may be a better option.

It does depend on whether there is a remortgage product available.
I disagree, Michael.

"The remortgage term does not extend beyond......or the existing mortgage term."

Any remortgage would not have a term longer than the existing mortgage. A 21 year secured loan is likely to extend beyond that period and is therefore not permissible.

I agree that, should a remortgage product be available it could be employed (ending at the existing term) and a secured loan might, in those circumstances, be preferable. As has been said before, all options should be looked at. But, I stand by my assertion that a secured loan cannot be forced upon you under the old protocol.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:22 am
Yes but Foggy it says the 'later' of the debtor's State retirement age or the existing mortgage term. I read that to mean that if your mortgage is due to finish before the State retirement age then the term can be extended.

If there are any mortgage products available I could see some IP firms using this wording to push the term out and thus enable equity to be released.

I agree that a secured loan cannot be forced upon someone under the old protocol but I do think the mortgage term can be extended.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:44 am
Still comes down to badly worded, written you by committee and even latest ones could be far better is sense checked properly.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”