Banking in an IVA

11 posts Page 1 of 1

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:49 pm
When I was setting up my IVA I was advised that my Bank, who was also a creditor, would close my account and I needed to set up a new account. I was given all the details for Secure Trust Bank, but not told there were other options.
The first 3 years of my IVA I continued with Secure Trust, and although there were no problems with the account: no charge for missed DD or SO, no overdraft facility, online banking and a prepaid MasterCard; it was a restrictive way to bank and it incurred a £12.50 monthly charge and £0.50 per cash withdrawal from an ATM. I really wanted a "proper" high street account and so started the search and listened to the constant "no way, you are in an IVA" replies by those who I spoke to.
I applied to Barclays online and within 24 hours had the same no way you can have a current account, but there was more. Barclay's said they have a Basic Cash Card account; online banking, visa debit card, full DD and SO facilities, no overdraft or loan facilities. Sign me up I want one was my answer. A problem free solution and a high street account even while still in an IVA.
Once my IVA finished I my name off the IR, Barclays contacted me and told me they were now upgrading my cash card account to a full current account, still no overdraft but a shiny new contactless debit card. Now all my default have gone and being a reformed debtor without a stain on my record, having a good saving record and always monies left at the end of the month, rather than more month left than money, Barclays have now offered me an overdraft facility, a pre authorised application for a Barclay Card CC and a loan ceiling if I need one.
So if you are starting this journey are are well on your way to finishing, I don't believe there can be much of a better option than talking to Barclays. They have also been known to accept IVA's who have debts with Barclay Card and Barclay loans.
I am not being paid or rewarded for this endorsement, just passing on a bit of good news with my experience and an option for many who HAVE to change Banks.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 pm
There are banks out there who will entertain people in an IVA - may just be a basic account to start off with but you don't have to have an account with a fee paying bank which was mentioned on here many a year ago.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:11 pm
I went with Co-op at the start of my IVA -- a Cashminder account. I had a Visa debit card (not Electron or Delta) which has worked everywhere and the account did everything I wanted. In fact, nearly three years on from the F&F, I still have the same account -- not even bothered to upgrade to a full account.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:35 pm
I'm with secure trust - although there are restrictions I will be in no rush to change (and technically now paid last payment).

It comes down to what suits you.

If I do change it will be more to do with needing a more main stream bank.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:23 am
I agree totally that it is what suits the individual. I hold a similar story to the OP but with the NatWest and remain with them to this day.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:36 am
Who pointed you towards secure trust in the first place.

I cant understand why people running a tight budget would choose to pay a monthly fee for something they can get for nothing.

Co op were great although I've jumped ship to the natonwide now.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:48 am
Because prior to going into an IVA my credit rating had been OK and my debts were spread across different lenders.

It was the only option left to me (and believe me I looked).
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:58 pm
I just wondered if an iva firm had directed you to them for a little finders fee!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:53 pm
This was 2010 before companies like this was were more common - I spent hours trying to find an alternative bank account.

In 2010 it was a far different time and looking back I feel lucky that I found them (in the same way I found an alternative for the business).

I will probably change in the next few months but I'm in no rush. Using them works for me.

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:38 pm
I was pointed to Secure Trust by my IVA company, which was Blair Endesby initially before being sold on the GT.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

gallifrey

Post by gallifrey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:01 pm
During my IVA I used the Cooperative bank basic cash minder account with no issues, I was completely upfront with them over my financial issues. I also made use of a pre paid debit card in my case cash plus to keep track of my spending.
IVA agreed 14/02/2011
IVA settled 06/06/2013
Onwards and Upwards
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”