My daughter is 16 years old not in education or work, can I claim expenditure for her ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Samantha.y

Post by Samantha.y » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:37 am
My daughter is 16 years old not in education or work. Therefore I can not claim child benefit for her. Does this mean I can not claim any expenditures for her for my IVA

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:41 am
Hi and welcome,

Is she in receipt of JSA?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:26 pm
Hi and welcome. I'm not sure about the answer to this one but hopefully someone who does know will be able to answer. Are you currently in an IVA or is this something you're considering.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:57 pm
Is your daughter on any benefits at all? Do you already have an IVA?

If not then I recommend speaking to one or two companies - Andy Davie/Vincent Bond (details under the expert link on the left) can be contacted for some free advice.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:43 pm
We were told we could claim for son as he was in full time education and had to send off child benefit letter as confirmation.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, a 16 year old should be in education or employed.

If you simply mean that they are coming up to leave year 11 and take up a full time place or apprenticeship, I assume it's ok as that's what my child did.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:46 pm
Official school leaving age is, I believe 18 now unless an apprenticeship or further education is an option.
Bob Marley.

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 pm
Gov.uk says a child can leave school at 16 but they must do one of the following until 18 - stay in full-time education, start Approved Training/Apprenticeship or part-time education if they get a job. If your child does one of the first two, you will continue to get Child Benefit until they are 19 but you must let the Child Benefit office know what is happening as they will automatically stop the Child Benefit at 16 so it is your responsibility to contact them to let them know your child's circumstances.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”