My daughter is scared that they will lose their home. I don't know what to advise them.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

Barb.n

Post by Barb.n » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm
My daughter and son in law entered in to. IVA a few years ago, it is now coming to the end of the five year period and have been contacted and asked for a valuation of their house to see how much equity is in it. My daughter is scared that they are going to loose their home and my son in law has just buried his head in the sand and says that will not happen,HELP do not know what to advise them

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 pm
It should not happen! Tell them to dig out their paperwork and re-read the equity release clauses. If equity is under £5k there should be nothing more to do. If over £5k they must attempt to remortgage to release equity. This is currently impossible, so it is likely that there will be a 12 month extension on the IVA term instead.

This all does, however, depend on them having the relevant clauses in their IVA terms.

Which firm are they with ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 am
As foggy suggests it shouldn't be the case. If the equity clause is in it then they would have to have it valued etc. If equity exists it would be unlikely they would gain a mortgage increase for it or loan ...they may be asked to pay an additional 12 months of paymemts instead.
The original paperwork will inform them of what should happen.
Feel free to post further questions so we can support you further - I know first hand its a difficult time.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 am
The worst case scenario is that if they have over £5k of equitable interest each then their IVA might be extended for 12 months.

Burying his head in the sand will not help - they need to get the valuation so the process can start of establishing whether the extension will be necessary.

Failure could result in a breach of the IVA, leading to failure, leading to potential Bankruptcy which could see them losing their house.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Barb.n

Post by Barb.n » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 pm
My daughter has signed a R1 form they are with Payplan

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:55 pm
The RX1 just puts a restriction on the tile of the property, which, basically, will alert the IP if they attempt to sell without his consent. It will be removed when the IVA concludes.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:54 am
They need to cooperate and get the valuation sorted.
Last edited by Lisa Thomas on Tue May 03, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Barb.n

Post by Barb.n » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 am
I know nothing about IVA's so please bear with me if the questions I ask seem daft. If they have the IVA extended for another year what happens as their debt will still not be cleared off. At present I think they owe about £15,000 with the amount being repaid for another year they would only have reduced this amount by £1200, also reading other posts it seems to suggest that there are fees to be paid for taking out an IVA but they have not paid any, or is this added to the outstanding sum, if fees are due my daughter has no idea of the cost. Can I take this opportunity of thanking you for your help

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:32 am
Once the IVA is completed then any remaining debt is written off. There are fees but these are taken out of the monthly payments. They have nothing to worry about.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 pm
You only need to worry about fees if you manage to repay 100% of the original debt before the IVA has finished --- then you need to keep paying until fees are covered.

But, in the majority of cases, we only manage to pay an affordable proportion of the original debt ( fees come out of the monthly repayment (generally 15%)and anything unpaid, come the end, is written off.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:10 pm
I hope the above reassures you and you can pass this on to your daughter.

The house will be safe and how any equity is dealt with will lie within their proposal, so do advise her to check. All the best.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue May 03, 2016 10:04 am
If the extension applies then after the 12 months is over their IVAs will be closed and any remaining debt will be written off.

Any IVA costs will come out of the asset realisations in the IVA estates so the creditors effectively pay for these as it reduces their dividends.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”