IVA completed years ago but still causing problems

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

Lucinda123

Post by Lucinda123 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:00 pm
I started my IVA around 9/10 years ago, and I am now looking to move to a rental property. I saw their application form and it asked about past IVAs etc... As mine was so long ago completed and when I had done personal credit checks online which stated I had NO adverse credit history etc, I thought it would be to OK risk not declaring it. My partner thankfully who has a good, clear history was accepted but I was declined for not declaring a CCJ. Annoyingly, firstly I have never had a CCJ but I also couldn't understand how they would have been able to access records showing I had done an IVA which was completed so long ago. I thought that Landlords didn't get access to as much info as say a lender, plus my records now show a clear credit history. So, how can they know about it? Plus, even though thankfully our application to rent will go through due to my partners income, how does this bode for my future? Will this always be a problem despite me competing my IVA such a long time ago and my online reports and public records showing no details of it?
Last edited by Lucinda123 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 pm
As you were declined you are entitled to be told which CRA they used. Once you know which one I would suggest that you direct a strong email in their direction asking those questions.

I am assuming that you checked all three agencies files to make sure they were all clear, and also checked if there were any Notices of Correction, which might give the game away.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lucinda123

Post by Lucinda123 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:49 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Foggy

As you were declined you are entitled to be told which CRA they used. Once you know which one I would suggest that you direct a strong email in their direction asking those questions.

I am assuming that you checked all three agencies files to make sure they were all clear, and also checked if there were any Notices of Correction, which might give the game away.
Hi Foggy,

Thanks for your response. I can confirm I have checked all agencies and all are clear, plus there are no notices of correction.

I am very tempted to contact them to find out how they got this information! Do I take it that they should not be able to access this info then? As I read they can only get public info I was very concerned when they came back with this.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:34 pm
I,too, would be curious. The agencies themselves state that they consider records over 6 years old to be of no interest and are therefore expunged (assuming the matter closed).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:41 am
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

wannabedj

Post by wannabedj » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:41 am
This is worrying :-(
If Football was meant to have been played in the air then God would have put Grass in the Sky

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:00 am
A CCJ is a court decision and is therefore a matter of public record.

To an extent it may also set precedent.

A completed CCJ may fall off credit history because it has no relevance for that purpose BUT it is still a court decision.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lucinda123

Post by Lucinda123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by lifenoteasy

A CCJ is a court decision and is therefore a matter of public record.

To an extent it may also set precedent.

A completed CCJ may fall off credit history because it has no relevance for that purpose BUT it is still a court decision.
Hi Lifenoteasy

My concern here is that they were not only aware of my IVA but they also referred to a non declared CCJ... I have never had a CCJ!! So, they were totally wrong on that account, but then still managed to find out about my IVA as well. I have actually just completed an online check to see if any court judgements etc are held against me... It came up 'Nothing registered'.

The estate agents are using Landlord Hub who I believe use Experian.

I will be contacting them today and keep you all updated.

Thanks to all
Last edited by Lucinda123 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:14 am
Your issue will be landlord hub - see http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/discus ... lords-hub/

Also see http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/refe ... t-ratings/

Competitor views of them are also not complimentary.

I have a feeling they are going to fall foul of the Information Commissioner.

Lucinda123

Post by Lucinda123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:38 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by lifenoteasy

Your issue will be landlord hub - see http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/discus ... lords-hub/

Also see http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/refe ... t-ratings/

Competitor views of them are also not complimentary.

I have a feeling they are going to fall foul of the Information Commissioner.
Wow! Those links made for interesting reading.

Them falsely stating I had a CCJ was awful, and somehow gaining info on my IVA completed years ago shows there must be some sort of underhand methods going on.

I also was not aware until today that they don't just do a one off check prior to moving in, but provide your estate agent with a monthly update on your credit status . Worrying.

Lucinda123

Post by Lucinda123 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:24 pm
Update:

I emailed my estate agents, who said the tenancy will go ahead due to my partners income, but have made no comment with regards to Landlord Hub falsely claiming I have a CCJ, or knowing anything about my old IVA.

I have contacted Landlord hub now to ask for a copy of the report given to them by Experian, I believe it is called a 'check my tenant' report, which looks different to a standard credit report. My own Experian credit report is totally clear of any IVA record, defaults etc... So it will be interesting to see what it holds in my tenant report instead.

I assume i am entitled to see the report Experian produced for them on me, as it holds my data ? Was wondering what to say to them if they refuse to provide a copy.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm
Let us know how this pans out - I don't think they can refuse to let you see the information
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”