My partner and I are both now full time students, are student grants counted as income ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Louise.83

Post by Louise.83 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:38 pm
My partner and I are both now full time students, although when agreeing to the IVA were both in full and part time work. We use our student grants and loans, and our child tax credits to pay our IVA, bills, rent, childcare, etc. I wanted to know whether both student grants and student loans were included as income? I have contacted CAB who informed me that no student income can be used. The government website agrees with this, as does Stepchange. The money advice service disagrees.
I am very confused as I am being given conflicting advice.
My IVA provider is insisting that our student loans and grants both count and wants to drastically increase our payment plan.
Any information would be gratefully received.

sponge

Post by sponge » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 pm
From my little understanding of it student loans are for life until paid. from my memory once upon a time some economics students figured post degree the quickest to rid themselves of the student debt was to go bankrupt, 12 months later discharged n all done, so the law was changed
If it was really economic students I'm not so sure

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:20 pm
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Louise.83

Post by Louise.83 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:00 pm
Thank you both for your responses.

Lifenoteasy - that link is really helpful thank you.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:36 pm
The loans etc are actual income but they have specific purposes and should thus be used for those expenses. You will need to buy books and other learning materials which are not listed on your standard CCCS guidelines but are perfectly allowable.

It is the same with disability benefits in that while they are income they are for specific needs and can thus be ignored when calculating the IVA payment. You should speak directly to your IP and have a proper review of the entire income and expenditure to determine the true affordable amount.

It is possible that when you graduate you will be both earning more money and can increase payments at this time [if still in the IVAs] but an increase now seems wrong.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”