I have just sold my house and banked cash. My wife is now getting an IVA and is on my account.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Jim.06

Post by Jim.06 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:17 am
I have just sold my house which I purchased 8 yrs before getting married, the house was rented out and we never lived in it, my wife has never paid a penny toward it. I put the cash in my only bank account, my wife is on the account so that I could give her a card and access to my money as she runs out of hers due to her debts, she has never had her wages put into that account and none of her bills have been paid from it. She is now getting an iva can they take my life savings from me as she is on the account in name only?

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:24 am
The money is at risk and so is your credit rating. She has to be taken off the account asap unless you consider paying off her debts in their entiety.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:49 am
I, too, would advise you get her to open her own account and take her off yours as soon as possible. I would also advise her to choose her IP carefully.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:46 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. As others have said, take your name off and remover the money or take your wife's name off the account asap.

In regard to choosing and IP advise her to talk to at least 2 or 3 to gain case specific impartial advice. Looking around the forum can also give you an idea of whom to choose and who to avoid so to speak.

All the best.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:05 pm
Choose wisely! The fact is the house is a marital asset irrespective of who paid what, unless you had a prenup? Creditors and IPs can be very insistent on getting monies due.

My own opinion, if my hubby had money and we were married for richer for poorer, I would want him to help clear my debts to avoid an iva. Doesn't seem right but that's my opinion only!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 am
I agree with others if your wife has to go into an iva then remove all financial ties before she does so.
Although it maybe too late as credit searches will show up a financial link to this account and may continue to even after the removal of her from the account.

Is there no way you could support your wife in clearing her debts without the need of the iva and then agreeing a 'repayment' option ? This would help both yours and hers long term credit rating as you may find your own credit history is impacted if an iva is started due to the financial links
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 am
I agree with Lulu - are you able to use some/all of the funds to help her settle her debts and possibly avoid the need for her IVA?
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”