I've been gambling in my partners name. How will this effect setting up a joint IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Stephend0890

Post by Stephend0890 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:28 am
hi in the process of setting up a joint iva with my partner.
we have run up some debts of £34000 including the use off gambling and these transactions appear on my partner's bank account they are mine but not hers, but in her name as i only had a savings account so money was put in by me. how will this effect the setting up of the iva? its me thats done the gambling but in her name

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 am
Hi and welcome,

You will need to take steps to try and stop the gambling as a lot of firms need proof that you haven't done it for a while. Have you sought any help at all?

Your IVA's would interlocking although you would only make one payment.

Speak to your prospective IP and explain this and see what they say.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:28 am
Hi and a warm welcome.

If you feel that your gambling requires professional help, don't hesitate to seek this. It will undoubtedly help you but will also demonstrate to your prospective IP that you are serious in acknowledging wanting to cease gambling and become debt free.

Do talk to 2 if not 3 companies to gain case specific advice and they should not judge you, they're there to help. They may require a period where no gambling is evident on the statements etc., and work with you towards this outcome. All the best.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Stephend0890

Post by Stephend0890 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:41 am
yes all my online gambling accounts i am now restricted from and my wages being paid into new basic bank account that my partner controls i have no access to money. im in the iva process with stepchange but they want 3 months clear statements, im also started being in touch with vincent bond and they want 1 months clear statements which is about the time frame would be to set up a iva.
any advice please with experience is best option stepchange or vincent bond? i do like vincent bond emailing them saturday evening and getting response back and forth from them feels good so far.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:52 am
Hi,

Glad that you have sorted things out.

Vincent Bond are a good company but of course the choice is yours as to who you go with. Make sure that you are happy with everything before you sign any paperwork.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 am
Stepchange run some of their own IVAs -- others they "farm out" to Aperture. Vincent Bond do not run the IVA's themselves, but use a panel of firms they refer you to, according to which one they feel suits your own circumstances best (different firms do have differing ways of doing things).

Personally, of the two, I would stick with VB. However, I would still suggest a chat with at least one other firm directly, to compare advice. I, and this is my own opinion, would avoid the IVA "factories" where they deal with 1000's of cases with very few qualified staff and you have little or no direct access to your IP.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 am
VB sponsors this forum.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”