IP says being laid off through ill health is not redundancy, taking severance pay. Please help.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Jodd2

Post by Jodd2 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:19 pm
My husband has been laid off through ill health and his severance pay is being treated as additional income, as my IP says he has not been made redundant. Any help welcome

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:40 pm
All depending on the relative figures that could be the better option ---- as additional income you get to keep half ( as well as a possible 10% of base income disregard). As redundancy pay you get to keep 6 months base salary and the rest goes to the IVA. So check your paperwork to see if you get the 10% disregard or not and then do the maths and see if you are better off.

If not and redundancy would have been the better option, argue the definition of the word in employment circles. I would say he has been made redundant due to ill health.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:50 am
Your husband could consider calling a variation and offering some of the money as a full and final settlement. Creditors usually accept these type of offers especially if there is ill health and he can then keep back whatever funds he needs.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”