Can one be forced to accept the 2014 IVA protocol ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
27 posts Page 1 of 2

Angela.mc

Post by Angela.mc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm
Can one be forced to accept the 2014 iva protocol 2014 clause stating secured loan if following 2008 protocol ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm
Not if you are already in an IVA -- they cannot change terms without agreement.

If you are not yet in an IVA seek a firm which doesn't use the 2014 protocol.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 am
Hi

As Foggy states you can't be forced to agree this if you are already in your IVA

Regards
Andam Davies

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:10 am
You cannot refuse a 'reasonable request' from the supervisor but is this a 'reasonable reques't. One for the lawyers and those on a higher pay grade than me!
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:22 pm
A reasonable request? Really?

To expect a client to agree, and give their permission (which the IVA companies in question obviously need otherwise they wouldn`t be sending out the variation permission forms),to change the terms of a legally binding arrangement/contract, mid arrangement, to allow their IP/IVA company to add A NEW clause which didn`t exist when the client originally signed the said contract, so that the IP/IVA company can enforce a lengthy, highly expensive secured loan just to enable the IP/IVA company to get their 15% fees from any lump sum secured loan amount introduced into the IVA.

Perhaps I`m missing something, but I don`t see it as a `reasonable request`.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 pm
If creditors want goodwill from those in an iva to change their T.C midway so to make them pay more....then the answer is aways going be a NO vote.As Turkeys ain't going to vote for Xmas.

The reason why creditors are trying this on is because they know they wouldn't be contested in a court unlike in mis selling/misadvise of bank products and with fines imposed etc.(Investors class action is a sledgehammer blow.)

When the FCA make a rude awakening on the banks, they shudder like frighten children.Fines and public reprimand....list goes on in current bank infringements.

You can only complaint about the IPs ethical professional conduct but not on the attempts of creditors to enforce loan terms through the IP.
That needs plugging by regulation to shut up shop.

Analogous to pouring bleach down the toilet....
Last edited by TzeKin on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:26 pm
I am not saying it is reasonable but it would be up to a judge. He/she may well decide that a secured loan releasing equity at no greater cost than that promised in the proposal by way of a remortgage is a reasonable request. However he/she may say it is not but until tested it is guesswork.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Til

Post by Til » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:03 pm
I personally don't think any judge would consider totally changing the terms of a contract, against the will of one of the parties bound by the contract, to be reasonable... that may have consequences for contract law surely ... I would hope no judge would consider that reasonable anyway.

I should think there are too many variations contained within the 2014 protocol compared to what terms we signed up to back in 2008 ... however that said perhaps a case will come up eventually where it is taken to court to establish if secured loans can be 'reasonably' requested in place of a remortgage.

Personally I would consider that a sad day for IVA's and would think that the wording of the 'sales pitch' for IVA's would then have to immediately stop using the term 'debt free in 5 years' as it would be very much not the case.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:37 pm
I can just see it now in a few years,

"have you been mis-sold an IVA? Were you told that you would be debt free in five years....but ended up with a 20% APR 15 year secured loan?'

"We can reclaim all your IP's fees on a no win no fee basis"

Wouldn't that be ironic.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Til

Post by Til » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:52 pm
Goosed I'm worried you may be accurately predicting the future there and that would be such a shame.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:15 pm
Michael,No case will ever go to court to clarify the enforced loan situation in the iva.

This aren't no bank charge case with the oft spearheading it.
A very minority issue,affecting less than 3% of population.

And....besides...

1.Who is going to call it?Ips,creditors... you can count them out.The Insolvency exchange..count them out too.

2.Class action from iva newbies...doubt there is any stomach for this.Who will be paying for barristers...? The banks had 20 barristers in their bank charge case in court.

Honestly,It is a lost cause.If the loans are enforced by creditors there is nothing anyone can do....

Protocols in ivas are increasingly made flexible to suit banks manipulation created by bank lobbyist.Ips are paid by banks.They work for the them,so why I am not surprised.
Last edited by TzeKin on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:48 pm
I've always been worried about the possibility of being forced into a secured loan at the end of our IVA if we cannot remortgage.

Our 2008 protocol IVA states that we have to try to remortgage or get funds from 'another source'. I've asked them directly several times if this means a secured loan and have been told each time it does not. It could include a loan of relatives etc.

I'm still very dubious... while compiling the paperwork for our 4th annual review!

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:14 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Imhotep

I've always been worried about the possibility of being forced into a secured loan at the end of our IVA if we cannot remortgage.

Our 2008 protocol IVA states that we have to try to remortgage or get funds from 'another source'. I've asked them directly several times if this means a secured loan and have been told each time it does not. It could include a loan of relatives etc.

I'm still very dubious... while compiling the paperwork for our 4th annual review!
Get it in writing/email from your IP Imhotep,

Seems to be that this `third party funding` wording in proposals DOES NOT infer a secured loan and NEVER has by the IP`s/IVA companies, but IS meant as funds from a relative, friend, etc...

It has only been brought up as possibly being construed as such on the forum by some forumistas.

What company are you with?

Eric Cantona

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:18 pm
Personally I have no real problem with secured loans as an alternative to a remortgage. The loan to value is less than quoted in the protocol or the proposal itself and within two years the credit file is usually cleared up and you can remortgage down the High Street.

Effectively, the way I see it, is that you enter an IVA with debts and fearful of losing your home. You offer your surplus income plus equity release and in return creditors write off any balance at the end. Any remortgage [or secured loan payments] can not exceed 50% of the IVA payment which protects you from further unsustainable borrowings.

If you are able to remortgage you do so to 85% of the value of the property whereas the secured loans are usually at a lower loan to value. Essentially if you remortgage to an adverse lender you can remortgage down the High Street two years later but you only have 15% equity remaining. If you take a secured loan the same situation arises but you borrow less than would be borrowed in a remortgage and two years later you are down the High Street again but you may have 25% equity left in the property.

I do not see how this is such a bad deal for clients or creditors alike. It can be argued all day as to whether a secured loan is a remortgage and the new protocol addresses this, but ultimately within 6-7 years of your IVA commencing you have no unsecured debt, have a High Street mortgage and owe maximum 75% of the value of your property. Much better than bankruptcy.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:28 pm
Why not just get a secured loan out in the first place and not bother with an IVA?

Would you have a problem with them then?

Goosed, I'm with CCCSVA/StepChange. Is there anywhere that definition of other sources is on record?
Last edited by Imhotep on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”