I've Really Messed Up - Any way back?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2

Low

Post by Low » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 pm
So I've been in an IVA with Payplan for a couple of years now and I'm not doing well. I was given redundancy on health grounds a few months ago after a prolonged absence due to depression and at first just fell into a downward spiral - It took a dalliance with suicide to start to pull myself back up and over the last couple of weeks I've started to browse job sites and so forth with a view to finding employment once more.

I've kept up with my repayments during this time, paid my bills and so forth, but have just spent too much from the redundancy pay. I didn't consider this at the time - indeed, I conversed with my caseworker via email prior to my departure from work and informed her that I'd be getting a lump sum and several weeks pay in lieu of notice, to which she was sympathetic. No mention of having to surrender a chunk of the money, and frankly it's not something I gave a second thought to.

A couple of days ago, I spoke to someone else from my IP and have been informed that this would in fact be subject to the windfall clause, something I hadn't been informed of in prior correspondence and honestly didn't know. To say my heart sunk would be an understatement. It's not that I don't have enough to get through - I do - but that I spent money during this time which I now know should have gone straight back into the IVA. I know it's a b***** stupid mistake to make, but to say my head hasn't been screwed on straight would be an understatement.

I absolutely don't have a problem paying this money, I just can't do it now. If it means another year on the end of my IVA, fine; lesson learned. I just can't bear failing because of it. I can't stomach what that would mean for my family and now I'm back at rock bottom. Can't eat, can't sleep, just can't bear to face anything. I don't really know what I hope to achieve by posting this, but I don't really know where to turn or what to do.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 am
Stop panicking !

Agree with your IP now how this can be resolved. Show them the email evidence of your first conversation with payplan where you informed them of the situation but were not informed of windfall clause. Explain to them that you are willing to add on to the end of your iva ... I am sure they will find a way to help and resolve it.

Glad you are now focusing on new employment opprtunities - lots of great recruitment websites out there including monster, universal jobsmatch, indeed, twitter, facebook and linkedin. Keep looking and something we come up - dont give up hope!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:47 am
Keep looking forward ! Explain, as Luluj suggests, and offer to repay anything owing by means of an extension. By the sound of things Payplan were complicit in this error and should be able to help.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 am
By posting this you have received some support which in turn I would hope you will find some words of comfort and reassurance that all is not lost and you will finsih your IVA successfully.

Hopefully a year tagged on will sort all this out for you. Hang in there and do use the forum as support.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 am
Hi

Secret is to work with your IP and find a way forward
Good luck

Regards
Andam Davies

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 am
You would normally be allowed six months living expenses anyway which are not deemed a windfall. Therefore if you have spent less than that figure and maintained your IVA payments you are not in breach and have nothing to worry about.

I would think it better that any money now left is offered as a full and final settlement given the fact you are not working so go back to Payplan. I would also suggest you meet with a benefits adviser to see if you are entitled to any assistance while you search for work and for when you return.

You need to speak to the IP atv Payplan as it appears you have been given conflicting information by the staff.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Low

Post by Low » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:26 pm
Thanks for the replies; they are very helpful.

Mr. Peoples, the IP did in fact float that possibility. I've spent far too much, but still have the sort of money available to hand over that would count as the extra 'on top' of the six months and due to my unemployment, a settlement was suggested; I fear that this will be rejected as it's not going to be a big sum after everyone takes their cut, but perhaps the fact that I'm not exactly going to be much use to anyone while I'm jobless means it will be considered a better outcome than making me bankrupt. I don't own a house or a car or anything.

I also paid £1500 today which I received last month from shares after exiting employment; I'm not seeking to hoodwink anyone, I know what I've done wrong, I overspent considerably and then thought I'd have to scrape through the next few months and so on.
Last edited by Low on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm
Go back to your IP as their plan seems the best way forward. Creditors do not want to punish you and bankruptcy means they lose most if not all of what is left.

I am sure creditors will be sympathetic to a full and final especially support from Payplan.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Low

Post by Low » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 pm
I'm just worried because it's not a huge amount (approx 10-12% of remaining debt). I'm just so sick. I lost my job due to depression but I wish I were back because I honestly can't bear the thought of bankruptcy and the impact it would have on my family.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 am
Speak to Payplan and they should be able to help. Do not be afraid of your IP as your contributions pay their wages and you are employing them for a service. This should be easily resolved as I do noyt think you have done anything wrong.

Low

Post by Low » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 pm
May I ask what would happen if, after making a F&F I found myself in a new job? After all, I was told that the F&F process usually takes three months. It's not going to be anything particularly impressive at this point but the thought did cross my mind.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:30 pm
Once the f&f has been accepted a new job will have no bearing. Until the completion certificate is issued lottery wins will have to be paid in, as will inheritances or any other windfall.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Low

Post by Low » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm
Sorry to ask so many questions...but when they say the process will take three months, do they mean from the point the offer is made to the point the certificate is issued rather than taking that long for the creditors to make a decisions?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:02 pm
I would imagine that to be the time to the creditors meeting ( they have to be given 28 days notice), from the time you make the offer to the IP, as they will need to verify stuff and draft a variation before calling the meeting.

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm
As the others say, talk with your IP, most of us have had the odd blip during our iva journeys. Don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure that a solution is there. Good luck with your job search.
Life after IVA is wonderful.
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”