Completion Issues

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
28 posts Page 1 of 2

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:50 pm
I started my IVA in December 2007. Partway through the IVA I applied to have the payments reduced. This was accepted, but my IVA ran for an additional 12 months to help make up the difference.

So, I paid my final payment in January 2014, and was notified by my IP at Grant Thornton this was the case.

Grant Thornton had sought my permission to use a company to claim any possible PPI refunds, and I agreed to this. As far as I'm aware a small amount was refunded, and sent to GT on my behalf.

The situation is I have still not received my completion certificate, despite it being 12 months since I concluded my payments. I know some companies are faster than others, and VAT and PPI issues have created problems, but that's hardly my fault.

I did contact GT several months ago and got an email back explaining their procedures, but the time frame they gave has come and gone. Today I phoned them and they promised to get back to me in the next few days about where they are at with my IVA, but I find the whole thing so frustrating.

Has anyone here used the complaints service on the Government website with any positive results?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 pm
I am afraid the GT will be winning no races to the completion line. Even before PPI and VAT sagas they were the slowest horse ! None of which helps you!

My thoughts are that everyone who faces undue delay should complain as the Regulators appear either disinterested or unaware.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 am
And even once the Completion Certificate is issued am I right in thinking it takes a further 3 months to get the details removed from the insolvency register?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:57 am
It is supposed to take three months from the date of the certificate -- but there is a member of staff there who appears to be doing it almost right away -- hope he or she picks up your paperwork !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 am
Hi

All you can do is to continue to press them on a regular basis or file an official complaint via their complaints procedure

Good luck

Regards
Andam Davies

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:15 pm
I don't see anywhere on the GT where complaints can be made. It might mean I have to use the government website to complain through them.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm
This was the complaints procedure a while back:

From earlier posts, this is the GT complaints procedure (if it gets as far as complaining to the Regulatory Body (IPA, in this case)the complaint will be against the IP ( who is the member) not the company (who is not):

1 If a client expresses unhappiness with the service provided by this firm, then in the first instance the concerns will be dealt with by the manager responsible for the area that gave rise to the complaint and you will receive a formal response in that regard within one month of the date of this letter. Should we require additional time to investigate the matter, you will of course be advised accordingly.

2 If the matter cannot be resolved by the relevant manager, you can then direct your complaint to my designated senior member of staff Mr Paul Madden at Grant Thornton, Waters Edge, Clarendon Dock, Belfast, BT1 3BH.

3 If you continue to be dissatisfied with my firm's response to your complaint, you can then write to Ms Fiona Beighton - the Head of Quality & Risk Management who deals with any complaints arising from the firm's recovery department - at Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2P 2YU.

In the unlikely event that my firm is unable to resolve your complaint you can then complain to my regulatory body – the Insolvency Practitioners Association.

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:43 pm
Thanks Foggy. At least I can now take it step by step in hopefully getting this matter resolved at last.

Sharon.10

Post by Sharon.10 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 am
hi sofrustrated i have on going complaint with against my ip since 2013 its still being investigated i am also with grant thornton.
Last payment made August 2012 Certificate of Completion recieved 15th of Novenber 2013.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:16 am
Follow the complaints procedure for GT and hopefully they will respond and identify ways of working with you to resolve the outstanding issues.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:50 am
I still have no response from them (apart from the usual automated responses) so it looks like they have no interest in resolving my issues. Whether I want to waste time, probably yet more months, progressing through the various channels of complaint, I don't know.

I might miss out the first two and go straight to the Head of Quality & Risk Management, then if no satisfaction, the Regulatory Body of my IP.
Last edited by sofrustrated on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:13 am
Hi

If they will not respond then take it direct to the regulators

Regards
Andam Davies

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 am
GT's complaints procedure is overly arduous. As Andy says, if they will not engage with you go to the Regulators, using this link:

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insol ... actitioner

sofrustrated

Post by sofrustrated » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 am
Wouldn't it be better to contact the IP's authorising body first, then if the matter isn't resolved, go to the Regulator?

Borneo

Post by Borneo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:45 am
Apart from needing the Completion Certificate to get off the Insolvency Register, get your credit rating back on track and generally getting on with your life, this is what I find totally frustrating and completely out of order when someone has completed all their obligations to their IVA.

When should the IVA actually terminate? Is it once the last payment has been received or full and final accepted? or in most cases especially GT's, when the Completion Certificate has been issued.

Whilst waiting for your Certificate you are still bound by the windfall clause. Depending on your IP, the wait for this can be up to 2 weeks, 2 months or as in my case 2 years. Most say up to 6 months to receive Certificate, for administration purposes, and that is exactly (only) what it should be for.

This would make things a little easier and a lot more fairer for those having delay after delay with waiting for long overdue Certificates we keep hearing about on this forum.

Hope you hear something soon. Believe me I've been there too!
Katy
28 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”