Equity Release Help?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
33 posts Page 1 of 3

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Fri May 15, 2015 8:52 pm
Hi, I'm approaching month 54 so dug out my original IVA paperwork as I wanted to be clear on what is expected regarding equity release.

My Chairmans Report states:

"6 months prior to the end of the IVA I shall obtain 2 offers of remortgage from reputable brokers in an attempt to release my equity. The offer that I will accept will be based on a maximum 85% loan to value and the incremental cost of the remortgage will not exceed 50% of the monthly contribution I will be paying at the time. In any event any remortgage that I am required to undertake will not exceed 100% of the debt outstanding at that time. Any costs in relation to such remortgage will be deducted from the mortgage proceeds and any increase in the monthly payments will be deducted from my contribution. If the increased cost of the mortgage leads to dividends to creditors falling below £50 per month after fees, contributions may be stopped and the IVA deemed satisfied.

In my attached outcome statement I have included an amount of 85% of my future interest, by taking the current value of the property and inflating this by 4% per annum, to give an indication of 85% of my interest in the property at month 54, I estimate the amount is unknown. This figure is just for illustration and it will not be deemed a failure of my arrangement if the equity I am able to release is less due to the fact that property prices do not rise as indicated here. If I am unable to obtain an offer of remortgage I shall make 12 additional payments into the arrangement ie 72 contributions by way of compensation to creditors. If at the time I obtain the offers of remortgage the amount of equity available is £5000 or less this does not have to be released and I will not be required to make contributions additional to those otherwise disclosed in this proposal"

So can I assume by the above I can use the 85% LTV formula to work out if any equity is to be released once I have a valuation and mortgage redemption statement to work it out?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Just trying to be proactive and not waiting into month 54 before trying to make sense of what's required.

Thanks in advance guys!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri May 15, 2015 9:14 pm
Hi

Yes, obtain a current valuation then multiply by .85, this is the amount to be considered less your existing mortgage/secured loan

Do you know at this point how much this could be ?

Regards
Andam Davies

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Fri May 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Thanks for your reply Andy.

No, not sure if the figures yet, as long as i know the formula to use I should be fine.

Is there anything else in the text that I should look out for or does it seem pretty straightforward to you?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 15, 2015 9:33 pm
I would just add that you should keep an eye on your IP as some still interpret identical clauses according to their own agenda. If they do not calculate it as above then ask them to explain their method and why it differs from your proposal.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Fri May 15, 2015 9:37 pm
Thanks for your reply Foggy.

What you've mentioned is sort of what I'm concerned about which is why I posted the whole section in my Chairmans a Report, I suppose I'm anticipating the possibility of a problem especially as i think there may hopefully be no equity to release!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri May 15, 2015 9:41 pm
Hi

Your wording seems protocol compliant so I see no problems with interpretation

Keep us all updated on progress

Regards
Andam Davies

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Fri May 15, 2015 9:45 pm
Thanks again Andy, I was hoping you would say that, I'll certainly keep you updated once the valuation and redemption statement has arrived!

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm
Hi,

When people talk about getting a valuation from a local estate agent what happens?

Do they come and have a look around the property then verbally give the valuation or do they give a written valuation which I guess I would need to send in to my IP together with my mortgage redemption statement?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 17, 2015 1:30 pm
They will come and have a look around -- then will give you a verbal valuation, which you should try to get in writing -- many agents will do this, many won't ! If you are close to the de minimis levels (i.e extension or not) it is worth paying for a valuation, which they will give you in writing.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 pm
Thanks Foggy,

So I guess I'll contact a few local agents and see if any are prepared to give a written valuation for free or not?

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sun May 17, 2015 1:49 pm
You can try this avenue but agents will value at market value normally at the upper end. They will then pester you thinking you are a prospective seller. I am close to the equity 85% LTV level so arranged my own valuation through local chartered surveyor. Most charge £100 + VAT for this which I will try to recover from IVA. As foggy says if your close - this avenue is the best option.
Winter-Blues

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 pm
After all this effort on the day I was sending my own valuation off I received letter from my IVA firm saying they have requested a valuation of their own!. So best checking with your I.P if they are doing one. Some do, some don't. Good luck!. I'll find out this week if they will accept my figures!.
Winter-Blues

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm
What's the likely value of your house? And do you know mortgage outstanding. You should be able to work out rough figures based on 85% LTV ratio.
Last edited by winter_blues on Sun May 17, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter-Blues

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Sun May 17, 2015 2:00 pm
Thanks Winter Blues,

I'll update the thread on my experience in due course!

Carl.ph

Post by Carl.ph » Sun May 17, 2015 2:23 pm
Valuation around £75,000
Mortgage around £58,000
Secured loan around £8000
33 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”