Hi I clearly need an iva but am petrified taking the step

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
578 posts Page 1 of 39

recovering

Post by recovering » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:52 pm
Hi I clearly need an iva but am petrified taking the step, the bit that scares me is opening another bank account before starting? which bank will touch me?

Wherediditgo

Post by Wherediditgo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 pm
I opened an account over phone ( coop cashminder)
Very straight forward.
Havent quite started iva yet but will hopefully next week. Feeling a sense of hope for future already.
Good luck.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 pm
It is a scary step - but once you have made the decision that this is the way to go it will get better. Have you taken advice yet to make sure an IVA is the right decision?

If you have, we too are with the Co-op, you do have to ring or go in the branch to open a cashminder and I had 24 hours wait to see if they had accepted the application but we have no complaints with the account so far.

If not I would advise speaking to 2 or 3 professionals from www.iva.com to get some free and impartial advice.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 pm
Co-Op all the way, as long as they aren't one of your creditors. As said above, ring a couple of companies to see which you get a feel for. Discussing the options will also allow you to get your head around the situation.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm
I certainly remember feeling similar, a new bank account was a big wrench for me but it' the best thing I did, I'm with the Natwest and once it's done, it can be the first step to finding your way to debt freedom.

Do you owe money to your current bank? if not then maybe you could keep it? Some banks are not IVA friendly but a lot are. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

recovering

Post by recovering » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:31 pm
Thank you all for the encouragement. I rang co-op it seems they haven't rejected me! fingers crossed for details in post then I can go forward with some sort of recovery, I haven't got anyone I can tell so this is such a help! I've had some dark days

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 pm
My details took about a week to come through from the co-op ---- good service and the online banking (although basic) is easy to use.

Keep posting, let us know how things are going and ask as many questions as you need ... there is no such thing as a silly question (except where do tooth fairies go to get trained!).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Louise.bb

Post by Louise.bb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:38 pm
it is overwhelming, but reading posts here will help you realise you are not alone and will give you strength, good luck!

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:47 pm
Do keep posting here as we'll all offer not only advice but support and encouragement when you need it. Hopefully finding the forum will be the end to your dark days. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Jo.58

Post by Jo.58 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum, it is all very daunting for those of us starting out, but keep posting and reading the forum. I have found it to be very helpful especially when I'm having a bad day, we are all here for you, good luck
IVA started 14/10/11
CC received 31/10/16

SilverLinings

Post by SilverLinings » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:37 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I agree with everyone it is daunting when you start out on this road, trying to get your head around everything and understand it all. There seems so much to take in but just take one step at a time.

I too had some very dark days and I can honestly say without this forum I don't know what I would have done. Neither had I told anyone about my situation but after the huge support from this forum I did confide in my employers and a friend. That was just a couple of weeks ago and now I feel so much more hopeful about everything not just the IVA.

I'd definitely recommend speaking to 2 or 3 companies and ask as many questions as you need to. And also ask on here... everyone is so helpful and non judgemental - it really is a lifeline.

Please don't feel alone... just jump on here and post this sites runs 24 hours a day so there is always someone here.

And whilst it may not feel like it right now you will feel better very soon once you get the ball rolling and we are all here to support you x

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 pm
Foggy - where do tooth fairies get trained??!!

On a more sensible note! - I gave the co-op 24 hours then rang them to ask if it was all ok - they gave me my account number over the phone so I could get my wages transferred over.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm
kazzafunk wrote:

Foggy - where do tooth fairies get trained??!!

On a more sensible note! - I gave the co-op 24 hours then rang them to ask if it was all ok - they gave me my account number over the phone so I could get my wages transferred over.

Eeerrr ... Tooth Fairy Training School [:o)]

MrPC

Post by MrPC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 pm
Hi there,

I'm just starting out too, and I feel your pain. I've had great support from the people here though, and they will help you simplify things and keep you sane!!

At the end of the day, you are trying to improve you life and there is nothing wrong with that.

Good luck!

oscar

Post by oscar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am
It was very scary for us I can remember almost building myself up to a heart attack when my husbands employer could not confirm that his pay would not go into our old bank account at the TSB (1 of our creditors) what a sweat. I was so uptight and I even mad him ring India at one point I must have driven him round the bend with all the worrying and what a sense of relief when the first pay went into our account with the Co-Op, phew! We did not know about this forum then we only discovered it a couple of years into our IVA it's a fantastic help thank you Andy Davies and everyone who helped establish this forum.
Oscar
Last edited by oscar on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://rollercoaster.blogs.iva.co.uk/

need to smile today? go on check out my blogs - I'll add to them regularly
Our IVA's over YIPPEE unbelievable!Seems like yesterday it was approved despite everything
578 posts Page 1 of 39
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”