Harrington Brooks?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
42 posts Page 1 of 3

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 pm
anybody used them?

This is who i am using due to my parents using them a couple of years ago and having no problems with them.
F&F Accepted on 12th March 2015!
Completion Cert arrived 26th March 2015!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm
Hi
If your parents have had a good experience then you should stick with them. Nothing like personal experience
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 pm
They only do DMPs don't they, and not IVAs?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:09 pm
According to their website they do do IVA's
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm
I hope they do IVA's because they have offered me one!

seriously though they obviously do them, and i was just asking if anybody else had dealt with them.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 pm
How can they do IVAs when they have no IP? I suggest that you will be actually passed on to another firm for the IVA eventually - and it would be wise to find out who and check them out before you get too far down the line.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 pm
Their website is misleading then, as there is no mention of passing you over to anyone else.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:28 pm
There are a lot of websites which operate on the same basis in the debt industry Jan. It is always best to check who you are going to be ultimately dealing with before you get too far into the process.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 pm
Couldn't agree more. Trouble is, people who haven't found this site will take them at face value. The firms should be upfront with exactly what service they provide.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:33 pm
I firmly agree with you.

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:47 pm
Now im worried.

i am definately having an IVA with them, although havent signed the papers yet. Alsthough i have paid them the fee. ( as stated in previous post)

So do you know they dont have an IP?

Also, they have told me to cancel the direct debits assocoated with the creditors i have. Is this right because i have done this?

As mentioned in previous post, they stated that if the IVA didnt go ahead, (although they try and vet this during the application stage) they would simply pass the fee over to a DMP.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:54 pm
On the Insolvency Service's website there is an option called Find an IP, where you can see which IPs are affiliated to which firms. There is no IP listed as Harrington Brookes, and I am sure that they have an association with another firm who they will refer you to for the IVA, but I could be wrong. Best to check with them directly.

It would appear to be good advice to cancel the direct debits, as you probably cannot afford them. Harrington Brookes do run their own DMPs, so I guess they will act for you in the event that creditors do not accept your proposals.

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:58 pm
Thanks Melanie,

I wish I had thought of coming to you first! i went with these as my parents have a DMP with them. When i called them they stated that this could be done, but after analysing my case they said an IVA would be preferred.

Shall i ask them tommorrow who will handle the case of the IVA? And if they say "they will" what do i need them to prove to me that they can handlt this legally?

Thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:03 pm
There is nothing to stop you changing companies now - you have not committed to anything yet and it is an important decision to make.

I would simply ask them to let you know which firm they will refer you to. You can then check upon them at www.iva.com and also ask other forum members whether they have any personal dealings or recommendations for them, and take it from there.

I have a fair idea who they refer to, but it is not really my place to comment on other firms on a public forum - and it is a private matter between yourself and the company you have chosen to represent you.

lull65

Post by lull65 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:06 pm
I have had a DMP with Harrington Brooks, to be honest I feel really let down by them, after the initial paperwork before the dmp was in situ, I have had no written correspondence from them, hence why I have changed to Payplan who have proposed an IVA and my creditors meeting is on the 6th April. HB sent texts last year to say Barclays had agreed to the payments proposed and that the interest had been frozen. In fact Barclays have told me via numerous phonecalls that they agreed to nothing and interest was still being charged on a daily basis. After contacting HB regarding this on several occasions, they said they would contact Barclays but to date Barclays havent had any correspondence, apart from the letters last June.
42 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”