Savings

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
48 posts Page 1 of 4

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 am
Hi

I have 20 months left in my IVA please can somebody give some help around having savings as I am getting mixed messages

I was told by my IP that when I went into my IVA to try and get in with our life now and I could save

I have managed to get myself in trouble with my IVA as I had savings but didn't tell them I understand this

All I want to know is do I need to give 100% of my savings that I have worked for to my IVA or is it a %

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat May 16, 2015 10:40 am
It depends on whether you had substantial savings before you went into the IVA or you made them after you went into the IVA from allowances etc.

If they were significant savings before you went into the IVA (I would say anything over £100) you failed to declare an asset that should have gone to your creditors.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 am
I think it depends. If you failed to declare savings at the outset then it's completely different to you working overtime, handing the iva their share and saving the rest.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 am
Any savings you manage to make from your agreed allowances are yours to keep and do with what you will. This also applies to saving your "share" of declared overtime and bonus payments.

If savings have been made from undeclared income, windfalls etc., then they must be paid in to the amount required to cover the loss to the IVA estate.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Sat May 16, 2015 1:20 pm
I'm guessing that if it was savings made before the iva started they would have to be handed over. I had £9k worth of shares as savings and they had to be encashed and paid in to my Iva.

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:38 pm
Thank you all for your info

I never had a penny when I initially went into my IVA it was after that I saved as much money as i possibly could or 3 years and I decided to buy a car because I needed one that was reliable etc
Unfortunately I was stolen and now the insurance company have decided to go to my IP direct which I feel is unfair and they want to pay all my settlement to the IVA rather to me
My issue is this is money that I had saved hard for like I have said to my IP the money has to be paid to me then I have offered to speak with my IP to arrange paying some money's to them
The IVA are becoming very threatening And saying they want it all when I need to replace my car as I don't have one
And I need to use some of my savings for other things as well
Really scary time for me as I thought I was allowed to save and have a car

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:41 pm
They are also threatening to freeze my bank accounts so I can't have the money
I am not sure if they are trying to scare monger me but it's working
My solicitor who I have spoken to has said they have no rights to freeze your account

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat May 16, 2015 4:14 pm
So long as the savings were made from allowances and you have declared all earned income so that they can get their 50% from there should not be an issue.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm
Hi

All my savings are from my wages bonus and overtime and birthdays etc
Which I always cover on Annual review I have even had to adjust my payments due to me earning more etc
Thank you all today for all your help it gives me a little piece of mind that I maybe ok I will stop pestering everybody now thanks again

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 16, 2015 5:01 pm
Your solicitor is correct -- your IP cannot freeze your bank account -- indeed he cannot even see it or do anything with / to it. Might I ask who you are with?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 pm
Pathetic bullying tactics by your iva firm.

Saving money during an iva should be encouraged,not punished!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:07 pm
Why are your insurance company talking to your IP???

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:39 pm
Not sure they are not supposed to then insurance ombudsman has given them intil the 22nd to settle my claim and they decided to contact them
They were always told about my IVA too

recovering

Post by recovering » Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 pm
My car was hit last year and written off
I had told my insurance company about IVA due to some issues with the insurance broker
my insurance company never contacted my IVA firm
how would they know which firm I was with? I was sent a cheque which I used to replace my car
Not sure how that could be considered a windfall? does that mean if we get our houses broken into any money used to replace items stolen is a windfall? sounds like complete idiocy

Carl.76

Post by Carl.76 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:38 pm
I don't know what to do really stressed out about it there are threatening me with criminal proceedings if I don't give them all my settlement it's quite frightening I need to replace my car and as of the end of the month I have no revenue as I am starting my own business up and I need to get through the next 3 months. Very unhappy times for me
48 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”