I may be coming into some money, but not enough to pay off total debt

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
45 posts Page 1 of 3

Julie.37

Post by Julie.37 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:57 pm
I am in a joint IVA with my partner.
I maybe coming into some money and was given a figure by IVA company to pay off my debt. However now I have been told that I have to pay off the whole amount but I will not receive enough for this.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:11 pm
Hi and welcome,

You will be in an interlocking IVA, not a joint one.

Once you know how much money it is then you need to speak to your IP company.

You will always owe the full amount until the end of the IVA plus fees and possibly statutory interest. You will continue to make monthly payments if the amount you receive won't pay this off.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:24 pm
I think in interlocking ivas that you are still liable for the full amount of any joint debt, is this what they mean? You cannot be made to pay off a debt if it's not yours.

julesmefc

Post by julesmefc » Sat May 14, 2016 5:05 pm
Hi
Thanks for replying.

I think I am in a joint one not an interlocking one because when I asked the IP about what I would have to pay Michell Farrar who I was with at the time said I would only need to pay mine and the joint ones. Now am with Creditfix and the are saying I have to pay my partners as well.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:12 pm
No, there is no such thing as a joint IVA - it will be interlocking.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 pm
There is no such animal as a joint IVA ( the I stands for individual). They are interlocking, and can be separated, with a little work from the IP, to finish one and leave the other running. Any joint debts will be paid off by yours, if the windfall is enough, and then removed from the other IVA. Awkward, but possible.

CF always try the path of least resistance first, and often change tack when challenged (the joys have having a newly enlarged client base).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

julesmefc

Post by julesmefc » Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 pm
Hi

Can I ask Creditfix if they would take what I get as a full and final payment and finish IVA?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:21 pm
You can ask them - if you cannot clear both them ask them to do a full and final for yourself and let your partners continue to the end.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 14, 2016 5:45 pm
You could ask -- but I doubt they will agree unless it covers the full amount of your original debt and fees. There is also the possibility of them adding on statutory interest at 8% p.a simple, although this liability might already be excluded ( check your proposal for any mentions of statutory interest ) or the creditors might agree to drop this ( many have done in the past when asked ), which might bring the settlement figure down to within the reach of the windfall.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

julesmefc

Post by julesmefc » Sat May 14, 2016 8:23 pm
Thanks

I had asked Michell Farrar and they had agreed to do that and have given me a full and final settlement fee and agreed for my partner to carry on in the IVA but now Creditfix has taken over and they say this can't be done. Help plz

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm
Yes it can be done and you should insist on it!!

Speak to someone in authority there rather than a case handler.
Bob Marley.

julesmefc

Post by julesmefc » Sat May 14, 2016 8:35 pm
Thanks I will phone them are you sure I can insist on it please

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:47 pm
You can insist on it - the IVA's can be separated.
Bob Marley.

julesmefc

Post by julesmefc » Sat May 14, 2016 8:52 pm
Thanks so much guys I will update you after I've phoned them

Starry30

Post by Starry30 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 pm
Hi Julie.37

Myself and my partner have interlocking ivas and before we went to aperture was told we could clear one off and keep the other depending on our circumstances, we've not asked aperture yet but as we have different creditors both of ours have to be dealt individually basically as our ip will need to do 2 meetings for our full and finals from what we have worked out ourselves.
45 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”