Freeman Jones complaint resolved

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
165 posts Page 1 of 11

Mrkpierce1

Post by Mrkpierce1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 pm
Hi all. First time poster I'm afraid, so bear with me!

I'm less than a week off my 60th payment with Freeman Jones after amounting £23,000 worth of debt, and I've been involved in a bit of a dispute with them over the last few months of which I'll explain.

After making several PPI claims at the behest of Freeman Jones, I received an offer in January for £5500. When I received the offer, I checked my last annual review from Freeman Jones, and found that my final estimated outcome was to pay off 89p in every pound, with a final payment date of the 16th March 2013.

I did my maths, and worked out that this PPI claim should help me shorten my term, not 100% sure on how long, but it will let me pay off 100p in the pound of what I owe. So I gave them a call, explained the offer, and asked them what this would mean for the term of my IVA.

I spoke to a rather impolite guy over the phone who told me that I was in arrears by over £1400, caused by me earning above my threshold. I explained that this was news to me as they've seen my last 58 payslips and that all of my annual reviews, including the one in my hand, had said that I was 'complying with the terms of my IVA'. More importantly, no one had ever contacted me during my term to tell me this. He said that I had been told over the phone 3 years ago by someone who doesn't work there anymore. I assured him that I hadn't, and shouldn't that sort of thing be backed up with some kind of written correspondence? Apparently not. So I said that I would like to raise a complaint about this and continued.

How long was I going to continue paying? He couldn't tell me, saying that I would have to wait for my final review before they could extend my terms. I explained that this was not acceptable, as I need to budget my finances to suit this sudden change in my fortunes.

And what about this PPI claim? That should sort matters out shouldn't it? Well yes. However, that money won't be taken into account until I have paid off what I owe. What if that means I end up paying more than I owe? Any overpayments will be refunded to me at a later date. And if what the total amount I owe gets paid off and I don't want to continue paying? I can fail my IVA.

Anyway. 10 weeks have passed (They said they'd respond in 8), and they finally contacted me today. Initially, they thought I was complaining because my payments had gone up. I had to patiently explain the whole situation again to them. They had to go away, look into it and get back to me.

To give them their due, they contacted me back within 3 hours. They told me that after reviewing my files and records, they can see that contact was not kept up with me, and that they should have informed me of this sooner. They would like to offer me £100 as 'A gesture of goodwill'.

But I still have to pay the £1400.

I didn't tell them to do what I wanted them to do with that £100.

It took me a while, but I carefully managed to explain that what I want is for them to recalculate what I owe them, taking the impending PPI claim into account and tell me EXACTLY WHAT I OWE THEM. They need two more wage slips for no readily apparent reason, are going to get back to me. Allegedly.

Like I say, my 60th Payment is due on Monday.

Sorry it's such a long and rambling first post, but I am at the end of my tether with them. I want to take this complaint further, but at the same time I just want to get this finished and never have to deal with them again. Am I being unreasonable? I just don't see why I should have to pay off that £1400 due to their clerical error, especially if that shortfall will be covered by that windfall payment that should be turning up any day now.

Any ideas as to what I should do and where I should take this would be greatly appreciated!!

Steven Hewitt

Industry Expert

Post by Steven Hewitt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am
Dear Mrkpierce1,

Thank you for your post.

Firstly I'd like to apologise that this has turned into a bit of a saga and I appreciate that we should have acted quicker on this for you. I believe that you have spoken to a member of the team at Freeman Jones and they are in the process of addressing your concerns.

I'm confident that we will be able to reach an amicable resolution and help you successfully complete your IVA.

If you need anything further then please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards
Steven Hewitt - a member of the team at Freeman Jones

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm
Having the same sort of problem with Freeman Jones. Finished our iva but have now been told that we owe them £1800! Asked for the documentation and received a photocopy of bank statements showing our income, which we already knew! Can't seem to get to the real reason of why they say we owe this money and they won't give us our cc until we pay. Needless to say we don't have £1800 having been paying them over £730 amonth for 5 and a half years. I have always been supportive of Freeman Jones on this forum but am rapidly changing my opinion.
Life after IVA is wonderful.

lem

Post by lem » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 pm
Well I wouldn't be prepared to hand over another penny until they could explain exactly where this £1800 was missing from, cc or not

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 pm
We have no intention of paying until they can explain it. They said it was from 2009, so why weren't we alerted before? we had reviews every 6 months and payment increases every year so where does this come from?

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 am
It's bizarre that they have calculated a sum that they say you owe, but can't tell you how it's been calculated!

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 pm
Or won't. I'm getting a bit cynical in my old age.

Steven Hewitt

Industry Expert

Post by Steven Hewitt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm
Hi wiggle1,

I can understand your concern about this. Obviously we want to sort this out for you and would welcome an opportunity to explain things in more detail.

Please email me your reference number to Steve.hewitt@FreemanJones.com and I can arrange for a Relationship Manager to give you a call.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.
Steven Hewitt - a member of the team at Freeman Jones

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm
Thanks steve, we will do that straight away.

actorbird

Post by actorbird » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am
I am having exactly the same problem. Have received an offer from Halifax for a PPI settlement of approx £8100. As my debts were with Halifax I presumed this would pay off some of them. I also wanted to know how much I now owed and over what time scale. Firstly I went to the Halifax for the balance of my debts. They no longer have the loans! Where are they? In fact someone at Halifax told me they had been paid off and "not to worry about it". I still don't know what has happened to the PPI money and why the Halifax is no longer my creditor - who was represented at the initial meeting with creditors? When did the loans "disappear"? Next I tried Freeman Jones. Rang my customer relations manager who told me exactly the same as the above and I would have to wait for my annual review which was during this month. I asked for a statement showing what I owe and was told they don't do statements just "calculations". I asked for a "calculation". I was told that this was not possible. I said of course it was possible. They had all my documentation and I was not prepared to wait 4 to 5 weeks before I knew what my future financial position was going to be. I said I would go back to debt management to pay off the remainder of my debt. My lovely customer relations manager (or whatever he is called) said "I wouldn't do that" in threatening manner. I again asked for a "calculation". He eventually said he would do his best. Since then had a request for another payslip - are they delaying tactics? Have heard nothing more so don't know where my £8101 has gone and how this will affect my payments in future. Sorry this is so long but somehow all this just doesn't seem right to me. Will continue to investigate Freeman Jones.

JaneR

Post by JaneR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:11 am
Hi Actor.. Cant offer any advice.. just wanted too say that I am having the same problems with lack of communications with this Company.. I now wish I had stayed with the Debt Management.. at least they were more sympathic and contacted me every week.. I havent heard from Freeman Jones since last October when I offered 50,000!!! smaller than my original debt by 12,500.. All they do is send me requests for my income etc...
Last edited by JaneR on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

actorbird

Post by actorbird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by JaneR

Hi Actor.. Cant offer any advice.. just wanted too say that I am having the same problems with lack of communications with this Company.. I now wish I had stayed with the Debt Management.. at least they were more sympathic and contacted me every week.. I havent heard from Freeman Jones since last October when I offered 50,000!!! smaller than my original debt by 12,500.. All they do is send me requests for my income etc...

actorbird

Post by actorbird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am
Hi Jane
Thanks - it's good to hear I'm not the only one. My CRM is really horrible. I am going to ring them and ask to speak to somebody else. What's with these people? Update you soon (I hope).

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm
Have you contacted Steve Hewitt? He picked up my thread on this question and swung into action! Now we are waiting for our cc, which we were informed would be with us in 3/4 weeks which will be the end of next week. Will let you know if it materialises.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:41 am
Hopefully the representatives from this firm will pick up on this post and invite you to make direct contact
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
165 posts Page 1 of 11
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”