Moved to Barclays - all good!

15 posts Page 1 of 1

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu May 22, 2014 7:19 am
Hi,

Just wanted to share that I recently moved to Barclays (cashcard account) from Cooperative.

This was because I was nervous of all the bad press around Coop recently and didn't want any hassle if they collapsed, merged, sold-out etc...

So I went to Barclays for their basic cashcard account, which you have to apply for in-branch.

I told the assistant I'm in an IVA, she said she was glad I told her as it meant she can skip the credit-check which they do to see what credit facilities they can offer and it saves embarrassment.

Barclaycard was one of my creditors and the old credit card account came up on the computer.

Nevertheless, it all went through and the system accepted my application and opened the account.

I used the "switch" service which turned out to be great. So easy, everything went across seamlessly - including the IVA direct debit.

And Barclays have a far better online system and mobile banking, though the Cooperative were getting better.

Happy days!
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am
I have had many clients switch to Barclays and they seem very happy with the service. Pity about CoOp losing their way and they had already started to penalise those with previous financial problems.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 pm
Great result for you and well done on sitting there and being honest, I know that part isn't easy.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu May 22, 2014 8:54 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by lesley_

Great result for you and well done on sitting there and being honest, I know that part isn't easy.
You're right about that. It was the first person I've told. I feel ashamed about being in an IVA, even though I have friends who have gone through bankruptcy and openly discuss it.

I don't tell anyone. Anyone could find out if they wanted to of course, it's publicly available info. But I hope that my IVA comes and goes with nobody finding out.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 24, 2014 6:58 am
When I was in my IVA I told nobody except my youngest daughter. I hid it well. Still not confided in anyone but do feel fairly relaxed about it now rather than when I was living it as money did take over my life.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Sally1966

Post by Sally1966 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:25 pm
No one knows about my IVA except my best friend , I'm very good at dodging nights out , well I don't dodge I just say I'm skint as most of my friends do as well x

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Sally1966

No one knows about my IVA except my best friend , I'm very good at dodging nights out , well I don't dodge I just say I'm skint as most of my friends do as well x
I know that feeling! Though there should be enough money for you live a little... but not a lot until it's over.

I've found that anything you do these days is at least £100.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 30, 2014 12:36 am
That's a great positive feedback for Barclays, and well done to them for supporting new customers with poor financial histories who are now working hard to put that behind them.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm
Well done Hubert, I have been meaning to ask about other bank accounts other than the Co-op, am quite happy with them after moving over from Santander prior to my IVA but am getting a little worried about how things might change with them to be honest, being much closer to the finish than the start I do not want anything messing around with things.

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:05 am
I'm with you on this lesley. Money's taken over me too since the iva. I check bank online religiously everyday. I could never in a million years disclose our iva to anyone I am so ashamed.
Steven & Debbie

mole

Post by mole » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 am
Lloyds have been fantastic with me, indeed they have just upgraded my account but good to hear Barclays are supportive of those with issues

Alison.88

Post by Alison.88 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:14 pm
I,ve had good news to, Barclays also let me open a basic account with them and they were one of my creditors. I feel as though a weight has been lifted and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Barclays also told me that once my iva is over, which will be 7 months away I will be offered a normal bank account. Thank you everyone on the iva forum for your help advice and support. Feel really excited that my iva is coming to an end and I did it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm
Great news - well done on getting that account.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:01 am
Good to hear Alison - thanks for sharing.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

scooby1963

Post by scooby1963 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:24 am
Has anyone had any dealings with the Halifax post IVA re new bank accounts please?

We were with them before our IVA (our mortgage still is) and they were brilliant. They have a branch in our town.

We had decided to stay with 'Think money' for the time being and have always like the way it works with the 'salaries' and 'card account' and receiving texts when money is credited etc.

Now that we are a little more financially savvy it would be great if we could find a bank that offered the same service without us having to pay the £25 management fee every month for 2 x cash cards. We do not want an overdraft facility.

We would consider returning to the Halifax if we could?

Thanks
Last edited by scooby1963 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bank accounts and credit cards”