living with my shame and stupidity

150 posts Page 10 of 10

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 pm
It is always a difficult call, whether to share debt problems with your nearest and dearest, and whilst relatives can be extremely supportive when times are hard, they will also wonder how you have got into such trouble with finances unless there is some compelling reason such a business failure, divorce, illness or redundancy.

Unless there is a real need to share this with your next immediate relatives, it can often be a better policy to let sleeping dogs lie.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

nra

Post by nra » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 am
life continues to be a learning experience even at 42yrs of age.

whats next???

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 am
Hi NRA.....life is a test of patience.....you have come such a long way and you are on the downward hill now...light is at the end of the tunnel.....
Stay positive...if you want a friend to talk to add me as a frugal friend and we can contact off forum......I won't judge...having been in the same position I fully understand x
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 pm
We've been in our iva for 5 and a half years and are due to finish this month. (I'm finding it hard to believe that they won't find a reason for us not to finish - back to dreading the phone ringing etc.) We haven't told anybody that we're in an iva, too ashamed I suppose, but it is so hard trying to explain why we can't go to family events, days out etc. I do sympathise with you but I think if I had this time over again (God forbid!!!!) I would tell my family.
Life after IVA is wonderful.

Lucyl

Post by Lucyl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 am
Your story has made me cry nra, but I am so proud of you. I only found this forum last month and wish I had found it 5 years ago when my IVA journey started. Nobody knows about my IVA and it has been difficult at times carrying the weight and not being able to offload. You are so brave and should be incredibly proud of yourself. Use the support of this fantastic forum and remember that all of the members are rooting for you and wishing you good luck. You are over half way .... Lucy x

nra

Post by nra » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 pm
its around 4 years since i first plucked up the courage to contact Melanie and address my debt issues.

at the end of the month i make my 48th payment.

for once im starting to feel a bit more positive about this whole process and hoping the conclusion comes around very quickly.

the last 4 years have been a constant battle but im starting to win.

despite all that life has thrown at me im getting stronger and keeping my chin up more than i was.

just wanted to acknowledge my admiration to everyone involved in helping me through this process.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:00 pm
It's good to hear from you nra and I'm glad things are looking up for you x

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm
I too am glad things are easing for you, you're on the home straight now. hang in there x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 am
It is fantastic to see how far you have come nra, and are now facing your final year. Thank you for posting your thoughts, as others will gain munch encouragement from following your journey.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

nra

Post by nra » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm
FAO Melanie

would it be possible to contact you directly via email??

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:17 pm
Hi nra

Melanie is out of the office today but if you contact her she will get back to you on Monday :-)

Enjoy your weekend
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

nra

Post by nra » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:47 pm
so I made my final payment in September 15 and today in the post received my certificate of completion.

it has been 6 very difficult years dealing with lifes stresses never mind the constraints and impact of being in an IVA.

I have suffered a breakdown in a relationship,disappointed my parents and not been able to provide my son with all he deserves.

I take no satisfaction at having come through this process as im embarrassed to say the least at having gotten into it at all.

im not sure what the % is for people completing there IVA but im guessing it must be less than half-its a very tough experience.

however at 45 years of age I have learned a very hard lesson and hope now I can start to rebuild my life.

throughout it all I can say only good things about Melanie Giles and her team,who were there on the occasions I needed advice and support - without doubt I wouldn't be here without them for I really did fall to rock bottom on several occasions.

good luck to anyone entering an IVA,choose your supervisor wisely and think it through and all the implications.

over the years this website has been a good place to get support and appreciate youre not on your own.

I feel a little anti-climatic...not sure how youre supposed to feel but im just glad its over.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:00 pm
Happy that you've received your certificate and can finally move on and put this behind you. Good luck for your future.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:01 pm
Well done nra - glad it is over for you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:13 pm
Well done - you finished! After all those years of hard work you made it to the finishing line. So you made a few mistakes that caused you to end up in the IVA - so what, everyone makes mistakes but you took action to fix yours and now you have learned from them. I'm sure your parents will get over it and now you can make things up to your son a little with your free money that you now get to keep! Congratulations again and good luck for the future.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
150 posts Page 10 of 10
Return to “thinking of making your first post ?”