Grant Thornton customer services

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
119 posts Page 3 of 8

ladybird321

Post by ladybird321 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:19 am
I sent an email to GT on Wednesday asking for an update on my closure and PPI as I have heard nothing since Jan. I used the email address on here with IVA Forum as the title. Not heard a thing back yet.

Believe me I do appreciate that I am in a far better place than I was before my IVA, when I have spoken to individuals at GT over the years they have always been extremely polite and helpful, however GT didn't provide their services for free. They like all IPs make money out of helping us. We pay for them to provide us a service. We are the customer at the end of the day and they need to fulfill their obligations. My last payment was end of Oct 11 but then 3 months later found out by reading my annual report that I still owed money due to GT not amended my payment schedule at some point in my IVA. GT had not told me this prior to sending out my report. This has now automatically delayed my closure by 3 months through no fault of my own. Now I am looking at the end of July before the 6 months of waiting for my CC is up...even then I am not holiding my breath. Sorry GT, not good enough! I have nothing against individuals in GT, I have worked for many years as a middle management grade in a very large organisation and have an appreciatation that when things go wrong it is quite often not the customer facing staffs fault, they just take the bullets for faults in organisation as a whole. Senior management in GT really need to sort all these issues out. As a customer, quite rightly I should be getting the service I paid for. Their internal problems ie backlogs, lack of staff are not my problem and I will and do not take that excuse lightly. Reading on this forum it sounds like they have taken over the IVA accounts off other companys. It was their decison to do this and it shouldn't be at the detriment of services provided to their customers. Then we have the good old VAT issue and PPI issues. If other companies can still close the majority of their cases in a reasonable timeframe why can't GT? I know some of the other companies aren't perfect as well but when it comes to closures, reading this forum, GT do seem to be letting their customer down big style.

Right rant over. Time for a cuppa.
Last edited by ladybird321 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
IVA finished Oct 2011, CC received 27 April 2012, No longer on Insolvency Register 01 May 2012. Jan 2013 - all Credit Files squeaky clean :)

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 am
I hope that Karol picks up these posts on Monday and is able to give GT clients the reassurance they need that case closures are now progressing and that they will get round to all of them just as soon as they can.

Some firms have taken the view not to close cases until the VAT and PPI issues have been resolved, and whilst this is frustrating for their clients who have concluded all of their obligations to their IVAs, it is unlikely that this would give grounds for any sort of complaint.

I believe that GT are closing cases regardless of the VAT issue, so the only thing that can be holding up closures is either debtor arrears, creditor claims agreement or PPI issues.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

vince666

Post by vince666 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:31 am
Or perhaps insufficient resources
Last edited by vince666 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completion certificate received 31 March 2012.

ladybird321

Post by ladybird321 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:11 pm
Vince I totally agree. I think the VAT and PPI issues haven't helped but personally I think it is backlogs and the lack of resource allocated to closures. Taking on work from other IP companies hasn't helped either and has probably hindered them even more but as I have said before their taken on additional work, resource and backlog problems should not be their customers. It is their responsibility as a service provider to address and resolve any internal issues to maintain the quality of service expected of them.
IVA finished Oct 2011, CC received 27 April 2012, No longer on Insolvency Register 01 May 2012. Jan 2013 - all Credit Files squeaky clean :)

Gtslow

Post by Gtslow » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:32 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by vince666

Or perhaps insufficient resources
8-9 months waiting for a closure cert is not acceptable, I am not about to shout at Karol, I just want realistic feedback with regards to my cert, fact is I split from my joint IVA partner of 20 years and want financial separation too.

I am one Stressed out person...
IVA competed 17th August 2011 and completion cert received from Grant and Thornton April 25th 2012

olydak

Post by olydak » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 am
The way I see it is, just be content with finishing your iva's, not worth stressing over a piece of paper, GT are closing others arn't, they have a backlog of work and will give you your cert when they have cleared that backlog of work, which wasn't caused by them anyway.

Regards David.

vince666

Post by vince666 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 am
That's easy to say David, but you are not taking into account the personal circumstances of others. For some people there are very good reasons why the completion certificate is vitally important. Gtslow has an incredibly important reason. Other examples are those who maybe want to get a mortgage or change jobs but are unable to do so without being removed from the Insolvency Register.

At the end of the day there is regulatory guidance concerning timescales for closure and transparency in providing information and all IP firms have a duty to abide by these. A backlog of work is simply not a valid excuse.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 am
I agree Vince - the sooner you get completion the better. I would hate to be hanging on and get a win on the lottery and have to hand some, or all, of it across to my creditors.

I'd hate to be waiting 12 months down the line for my completion letter.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

ladybird321

Post by ladybird321 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 am
I agree with you Vince, different people have different personal circumstances, it may suit others to wait but others it is of great importance that we get our CC asap. Although I do appreciate (only to a certain extent) that the VAT and PPI have impacted on them (and it has on all the other IVA companies), taken over the IVA accounts from other companies is of their doing. They are a big enough company to flex resources or get additional resources in to resolve this. Even before the VAT and PPI issues it was taking them 3-6 months to close where other companies were doing (and are still doing) it in a matter of weeks. Some of you might think I am being a bit harsh but like I have said before I am their customer and one major thing they are failing on is keeping their customers updated. I don't want to just be told that there are delays because of backlogs, I want to know exactley what they are doing to resolve these.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:28 pm
Well. If and when I finish the stretch I have no particular need to get my CC immediately. However, when I signed up it was for 5 years (all being well), plus UP TO a 6 month administration period. Therefore, on the assumption that I have conducted myself as per the letter of our agreement, I fully expect my IP to do so also, come hell or high water!!

We are so often told that this is a binding agreement upon US -- well .. it is also binding upon the creditors and the IP.

I agree with the principle that the IP has to maximise the return, but he or she should get their behinds into gear and do it within the agreed timeframe !!!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

ladybird321

Post by ladybird321 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:54 pm
Couldn't have said it better myself Foggy. Totally agree with what you have said.

Gtslow

Post by Gtslow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Thanks Vince for understanding, it may only be a completion cert to some but to me it's a milestone and will allow me to get on with my life away from the person who screwed it.
IVA competed 17th August 2011 and completion cert received from Grant and Thornton April 25th 2012

vince666

Post by vince666 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by ladybird321

I don't want to just be told that there are delays because of backlogs, I want to know exactley what they are doing to resolve these.
As I've posted many times, the IPA Ethics Code For Members paragraph 36 states "an Insolvency Practitioner in the role as office holder has a professional duty to report openly to those with an interest in the outcome of the insolvency. An Insolvency Practitioner should always report on his acts and dealings as fully as possible given the circumstances of the case, in a way that is transparent and understandable. An Insolvency Practitioner should bear in mind the expectations of others and what a reasonable and informed third party would consider appropriate."

So if you want a full answer from your IP, remind him or her of their requirement to act in accordance with the Ethics Code.

Gtslow

Post by Gtslow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:19 pm
Wow you are tops, hopefully Karol will contact me tomorrow.
Thanks again.

olydak

Post by olydak » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:31 pm
Including myself and everyone else waiting for completion certificates, we will all receive them as soon as GT have reduced a backlog caused, i guess by increasd business and problems outside the normal scope of things. I don't mean to sound as if people's reasons aren't important to them in receiving a completion letter in a timely manner, i would like to have mine. I just realise at the moment, its not worth stressing over, as i found out myself, how stress can affect your health and cause you to loose your job. I think it a good idea once the last payment has been taken in an iva, for a letter to be posted informing individuals how the iva is progressing.

Regards David.
119 posts Page 3 of 8
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”