Why am I being asked for my father's bank details prior to paying off my IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

katrina429

Post by katrina429 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 am
I am trying to pay off my IVA but have been asked for my fathers bank details or ID from the company. My father had given me a lump sum to pay IVA. I have the money cleared in my bank so why would they need his details ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 am
Mainly it is due to money laundering regulations which the IP has to follow. Additionally they might want to verify the source of the funds to make sure they are third party funds, as opposed to something like an undeclared windfall or somesuch.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 am
Usually a bank statement from him proving the funds are in his bank would be sufficient - as Foggy says this is to check that the funds are genuinely coming fro a third party.

Best of luck with completing your IVA.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

katrina429

Post by katrina429 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm
Thank you for your replies.

The problem I have is this is a person I have little to no contact with, what would I do. I couldn't ask him for bank details. Would a letter surface saying that he has given me the money?

Also he has already given me the money, so surely a bank statement saying the money is in his account is irrelevant?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm
The funds are supposed to come FROM the third party into the IP's account ... better not through your account as creditors could suggest the money isn't from the third party ! Unlikely but a possibility.

You will need a letter from him stating that the money is available for the full and final only and that, should the offer be rejected, he will retain the funds and they will not be available to creditors. They might also need to see bank statements showing the payment from his account into yours. They need proof that the money comes from a legitimate source and is not YOUR money.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”